Knockout mEq's Calculator (BETA) for making a single Kettle pH Adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
For specifically those desiring to forego Mash pH adjustment altogether, and instead make a single pH adjustment within the Kettle (to be added during the boil, with ~10 minutes remaining boil time) whereby to achieve a targeted post boil and cooling pH, I offer here what I initially presume (subject to correction of course) to be potentially the world first spreadsheet based calculator intended for strictly this purpose. As such it is admittedly early and therefore rather rudimentary, yet it is both free and complete. But being quite early and tentative, I warn that you use it only at your own risk/discretion, effectively as a BETA Tester.

EDIT: The Download link for this version has been removed. See below for the download link for the current version.

Last edited:
A vastly improved and much easier to use version. Computes the pH correcting acid or base mL or grams to be added to the boil Kettle directly per your 'drop down' selected acid/base of choice. Also now factors in and adjusts for mash and sparge water alkalinity.

Download the calculator/spreadsheet at the link seen below (via going to "File" and selecting "Download") and then launch and run it within either Excel or LibreOffice Calc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=110857543433924985622&rtpof=true&sd=true

Note: If you downloaded the above file before 6:15 EST today (August 16th), please download it again (via the link within the post directly above). I made an adjustment/fix to it.

Last edited:
Yet more refinements and text clarifications.

Download the calculator/spreadsheet at the link seen below (via going to "File" and selecting "Download") and then launch and run it within either Excel or LibreOffice Calc. Note: Google Sheets mutilates my spreadsheets appearance, and perhaps also their operational function, so I can not recommend it's use other than as a tool for downloading.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ouid=110857543433924985622&rtpof=true&sd=true

I just made another change, mainly for appearance and text clarification issues, plus critically adding an intended use statement of instruction. At this juncture, unless users detect problem issues demanding correction, I'm considering this (my August 17, 2021 Revision_2) to lift this program out of it's former rapidly evolving BETA status and into standard release status. The link seen in the post above this one now takes you to the standard release version, where it can be downloaded.

Last edited:
Back