Instructions for using 'Mash Made Easy' (MME) to achieve a targeted post boil and cooling pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
NOTE: The instructions seen below were initially embedded within another thread that did not involve MME. Therefore I believe that they warrant their own thread, so I'm duplicating them here with minor additions for better clarification:

For 'Mash Made Easy' the steps required are rather straight forward. The process primarily revolves around understanding that MME's 'Kolbach Ca++ and Mg++ pH Shift Multiplier' is nominally best to be set to a value of ~0.50 for best predicting Mash pH adjustment, and definitively best to be set to 1.00 for best predicting 'Knockout '(post boil and cooling) pH adjustment. Lets get started:

Initially you have two choices to contemplate:
Choice #1) Do I want to make only a single pH adjustment (generally best to be made with about 5-10 minutes remaining in the boil) whereby to hit a desired 'Knockout' pH? (or)
Choice #2) Do I want to make two separate pH adjustments, with the first targeting a desired 'Mash' pH, and the second targeting a desired 'Knockout' pH?

Steps required for the selection of Choice #1:
1) Set the 'Kolbach Ca++ and Mg++ pH Shift Multiplier' cell to 1.00, which is 'Knockout pH prediction Mode'.
2) Set the 'Desired Target Knockout (Post Boil and Cooling)' calculator cell to your desired post boil and cooling pH. 5.15 is rather common here.
3) Below this cell you will now see the computed target Mash pH that must be manually entered into the 'Desired Target Mash pH @ 68 F. =' cell. For the case of targeting Knockout at 5.15 pH this value will be 5.24 as your Mash pH target entry value.
4) Make the computed single Acid adjustment when only about 5-10 minutes remain in the boil step. (this method completely skips any effort to regulate Mash pH)

Steps required for the selection of Choice #2:
1)
Follow all of the steps as seen above for "Choice #1" and record the computed Choice #1 Acid adjustment.
2) Next, set the 'Kolbach Ca++ and Mg++ pH Shift Multiplier' cell to 0.50, which is 'Mash pH prediction Mode'.
3) Set the 'Desired Target Mash pH @ 68 F. =' cell to your desired Mash pH target. 5.40 - 5.50 is rather common here.
4) Record and also make the computed 'Mash pH' Acid or Base adjustment seen in step 3 above either pre-mash (preferred) or very early on during the mash step, whereby to achieve a targeted mash pH.
5) Subtract*** the adjustment value derived in step #4 from the recorded adjustment value derived in step #1.
6) Make the second Acid adjustment computed via the subtraction carried out in step #5 above when only about 5-10 minutes remain in the boil step whereby to achieve a targeted knockout pH.

***This (I,E., Subtraction) works only for the presumption that the adjustment computed in step #3 is an acid addition, and requires the necessity that the very same acid will be used in Step #6. If however in step #3 the computed adjustment is to be made via the addition of a base (I. E., Baking Soda or Slaked Lime), then there is no path via subtraction whereby to achieve a proper knockout pH adjustment, and the pursuit of achieving a targeted knockout pH adjustment via the methodology being discussed above must be abandoned. See below for the solution to (way out of) this dilemma.

And then lastly, there is yet a third choice available within MME, whereby to use the 'Kettle pH' tab/sheet calculator by which to compute a separate Knockout pH adjustment. You can use this feature even if you have used a spreadsheet other than MME to compute a Mash pH adjustment.

Last edited:
Back