Kloudy kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegrease

Reaction score
I didn't use moss or whirlflock when I boiled, so here I am three weeks later sitting at .010 and wondering if this beastie will clear. I just put it in at 38 for a cold crash and was thinking about racking it to keg on wednesday. The question is do you think I should add finings or gelatin or it will clear on it's own?
Thanks

It will in time....probably several weeks. If you wanted you could throw in some supercleer and in three days it's crystal

White Labs 029 or Wyeast? The former will clear nicely in a week or so... use it often.

I used the WL 029, first time I have used it. I pitched the starter at 65 and then moved it to a 62 ambient spot. It took off fast and seemed to work quickly. It has been sitting at .010 for a week and has not cleared much. So let it clear on it's own? Can do.
Thanks,
Jim

I always have a kolsch going, its my house beer. I prefer the wyeast over white labs. I lager my keg for a month and its always clear. I recently needed a keg only after a two week lager and it was still cloudy.

My frist two Kolsch's w/ WY2565 were bottled. I used Isinglass in the carboy and they both cleared nicely. My next one will be kegged, I think I will let it drop clear while lagering in keg for 4 weeks

goosegrease said:
I used the WL 029, first time I have used it. I pitched the starter at 65 and then moved it to a 62 ambient spot. It took off fast and seemed to work quickly. It has been sitting at .010 for a week and has not cleared much. So let it clear on it's own? Can do.
Thanks,
Jim

I love that strain. I have a kolsch I'm letting clear up, and should be bottled in the next day or so. Gelatin works great with that yeast if you're trying to clear it quick.

Mine only clears with cold crashing, but it comes out crystal.

image-447945812.jpg

BrightSpot said:
Mine only clears with cold crashing, but it comes out crystal.

Haha, woops! That's a Hef I made with 029, intentionally hazy :)

Latest posts

Back