Kit Question: To Blend or Not to Blend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calmingapple

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It has been awhile since I frequented this forum... I graduated from homemade apple wine to low to mid priced wine kits (I'm in Canada here and I've only made Paklab kits thus far).

I currently have an Onyx All Juice Pinot Noir (6 gallon kit from Paklab) that is almost done its second fermentation (hovering around 0.998 SG mark) that will need fining agents added soon. I threw 30 grams of oak cubes in as soon as I transferred it to the carboy and it is turning out well so far, however, I would love to add a hint of a red fruit flavor somehow and I have never blended kits before. I am eyeing one of those sweet red flavored Cornucopia kits (the ones with the low ABV kits unless you add more sugar kinda deal) - the wildberry sounds okay and they have great reviews.

Just wanted to know people's thoughts on this. I don't want to ruin this All Juice kit (it being my first non-concentrate). It has another month to go before completely ready.

Should I go ahead and purchase a Cornucopia kit, complete it within the 4 week time frame, and then go ahead and blend it with the All Juice Pinot Noir kit for a unique hint of flavor? (Once they are both done, of course).

Thanks for the help and glad to be back :-D

Actually... I have a California Zinfandel in primary right now... maybe this is a good candidate to add to the pinot noir later when it's ready?

Set up small bench trials with the finished product. Do your base wine, and then what the blend would be in equal percentages say 20ml each in a glass. Taste, smell and make an assessment. If you want to change the blend to say 75% pinot to 25% wildberry wine do a ratio, like 35mls pinot to 5ml berry wine. Sensory analysis before jumping in is highly recommended. If you don't have super fancy lab glass for measuring it using a measuring cup or jar works fine too, and will give you results approaching the finished product. Best of luck.

Great idea! I did this with blended wines to make a custom Rose before... good idea. once I like a flavor I can commit.

Thank you!

Set up small bench trials with the finished product. Do your base wine, and then what the blend would be in equal percentages say 20ml each in a glass. Taste, smell and make an assessment. If you want to change the blend to say 75% pinot to 25% wildberry wine do a ratio, like 35mls pinot to 5ml berry wine. Sensory analysis before jumping in is highly recommended. If you don't have super fancy lab glass for measuring it using a measuring cup or jar works fine too, and will give you results approaching the finished product. Best of luck.

If you want to add a hint of fruit flavor, the most simple and direct route would be to get concentrated flavorings on amazon or your homebrew shop and use that. Have 5-10 1 oz samples ready, start with 5 drops in sample 1 and go up 5 drops in each sample. You might have to do several trials to get it right, but then do some math and figure out how much for the whole batch.

Hi madscientist451

I really like that idea but I am not sure if Amazon.ca sells the flavorings you speak of. Any chance you can provide me with a link/brand name? Perhaps I can hunt down a supplier.

If you want to add a hint of fruit flavor, the most simple and direct route would be to get concentrated flavorings on amazon or your homebrew shop and use that. Have 5-10 1 oz samples ready, start with 5 drops in sample 1 and go up 5 drops in each sample. You might have to do several trials to get it right, but then do some math and figure out how much for the whole batch.

My local home brew shop orders in specialty items only once in awhile... so not always do they have what I need/want in stock. I am a bit restricted to Amazon and other online retailers for now....

Never used these fruit extracts before. Are they really designed for wine or for beer? I ask because I think any artificiality in the flavoring may be exaggerated in wine and hidden in beer...

I am looking but not finding :-( I considered buying a cornucopia kit to try out their offerings (F-pack sounds good). Wildberry is always a favorite but anything will do (I would buy up a bunch for future projects). Sounds like something I'd love to have on hand.

Sure, what is the flavor you were looking for? Your original post said "red fruit flavor"? Can you describe the taste you want?
Interesting article here:

http://www.eckraus.com/blog/increasing-your-wines-fruity-flavors

Hi bernardsmith!

Thanks to your advice from our previous back and forth chats - all my apple wines turned out well. No failures (yet). :-D

I am looking to add a bit of a fruity flavor to some reds I have that feel very one-note. I was thinking of trying it out in a one gallon batch I held back just for experimenting.

Never used these fruit extracts before. Are they really designed for wine or for beer? I ask because I think any artificiality in the flavoring may be exaggerated in wine and hidden in beer...

Hi bernardsmith!

Thanks to your advice from our previous back and forth chats - all my apple wines turned out well. No failures (yet). :-D

I am looking to add a bit of a fruity flavor to some reds I have that feel very one-note. I was thinking of trying it out in a one gallon batch I held back just for experimenting.

Sometimes the "one note" comes from a TA that is too low for the wine. Do you know the TA of the wine? (titratable acid - not pH - the TA tells you how much acid is in the wine. pH tells you how strong the acid in the wine is) .
See for example: http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/measure_acidity.htm

If your wine is from berries you may want to add citric acid, if from grapes, tartaric. Some folk (most perhaps ) use acid blend.
But two quick points: - young wines tend to have the fruit flavor pushed way back and only when the wine ages (12 months or so) does the fruit flavor push forward -
The other thing is that adding more sweetness to the wine (you need to stabilize the wine first ) can help bring out fruit flavor.

There is one more technique for adding more flavor and that is to create a flavor pack - basically you take suitable fruit and juice it and then you reduce the juice by heating and so remove the water and so concentrate the sugars and flavors. Never used this technique myself so I cannot offer any advice but there must be lots of posts dealing with F-pacs..

Unfortunately I don't know the TA of the wine. I need to pick up some of those test strips. But I did add a hint of grape tannin to my red kit.
In specific I made Vinoit's Red Tuscan (a basic table wine). While it turned out well for such a cheap basic kit... it needs more body and feels a bit thin. An extra hint of fruit flavor would be nice but so far it stands on its own for being so young and beats the cheap stuff from the liquor store.

I guess it is understandable as I have only did kits from concentrate.

I have a pinot noir 100% juice kit almost done. I trust this one to be noticeably better over the concentrate kits.

Thank you for the advice Bernard! This will come in handy going forward.

Sometimes the "one note" comes from a TA that is too low for the wine. Do you know the TA of the wine? (titratable acid - not pH - the TA tells you how much acid is in the wine. pH tells you how strong the acid in the wine is) .
See for example: http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/measure_acidity.htm

If your wine is from berries you may want to add citric acid, if from grapes, tartaric. Some folk (most perhaps ) use acid blend.
But two quick points: - young wines tend to have the fruit flavor pushed way back and only when the wine ages (12 months or so) does the fruit flavor push forward -
The other thing is that adding more sweetness to the wine (you need to stabilize the wine first ) can help bring out fruit flavor.

There is one more technique for adding more flavor and that is to create a flavor pack - basically you take suitable fruit and juice it and then you reduce the juice by heating and so remove the water and so concentrate the sugars and flavors. Never used this technique myself so I cannot offer any advice but there must be lots of posts dealing with F-pacs..

Not sure if anyone wants or cares for an update but the Paklab Onyx Pinot Noir kit was a real winner. My dad just called to tell me it was my best wine to date and rivals a more expensive brand we were ordering with a local homebrew shop.
Friends & family have asked for more bottles!

Unfortunately paklab has pulled many of their brands and I can no longer buy the Onyx or Tuscan red with ease. Which makes me really sad to think I stumbled upon a favorite kit that is no more...

But a winner for sure and i was able to blend a small portion of it with my Zinfandel kit that was lacking in early drink-ability.

Back