kit came with gelatin finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buhay

Reaction score
I picked up a couple more partial kits from my LHBS and the german black ale came with a pack of gelatin finings to add to secondary. I never secondary and do any of you even recommend using them? Will it make the beer that much clearer, it's a black ale after all.

Even a dark beer can still be cloudy or clear, just won't be super obvious. Adding that is up to you. That will also limit how much yeast will be in suspension so if you're bottling be sure to give it ample time to condition and carbonate before chilling the bottles. Cheers

Even a dark beer can still be cloudy or clear, just won't be super obvious. Adding that is up to you. That will also limit how much yeast will be in suspension so if you're bottling be sure to give it ample time to condition and carbonate before chilling the bottles. Cheers

Yea I always bottle condition and end up with pretty clear beer the way I do it was just curious. Cheers

You can, it would just have to be after all fermentation has stopped. And I would advise to try not moving the primary post finings so nothing starts getting stirred back in. The only issue I could see is if between your trub from fermentation + the fining trub, it may be a lot of stuff at the bottom which an auto siphon may sink into and bring up when you siphon. Either way, it will probably help the bottle conditioning settle too. Good luck.

You can, it would just have to be after all fermentation has stopped. And I would advise to try not moving the primary post finings so nothing starts getting stirred back in. The only issue I could see is if between your trub from fermentation + the fining trub, it may be a lot of stuff at the bottom which an auto siphon may sink into and bring up when you siphon. Either way, it will probably help the bottle conditioning settle too. Good luck.

I'll give it a whirl once for fun and see how it goes, thanks. cheers

Back