Kit brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1459

Reaction score
So I've been brewing kits for several months now, mostly from northern brewer. I just haven't had time to tinker around to come up with some true home brew ideas of my own. Just out of curiosity, how long have people gone brewing kits,clones, etc. before they really were able to hone some ideas of their own?

I still buy kits just to try something new or if there is a good deal. I will also look at recipes on this forum to see what others have done and if they receive positive feedback.

I would start venturing out once you feel comfortable with the process and like the end product you are making.

I've never brewed from a kit. I learned early on how awful most of the recipes and instructions are. My first batch was something I made up based on bits and pieces of advice I got from books and beer forums many years ago. I'm still learning new things. Much of the pleasure I get from the hobby of home brewing is from designing the recipe.

I never did a kit until about my 15th or so AG recipies, I would go down to the brew supply store and chat up a recipe with one of them. I have been playing around with SMaSH beers lately and just made somewhat of a SMaSH 14# Maris Otter/ 1# Honey Malt & Amarillo that was amazing.
Good luck

I tried making my own recipes pretty early on...maybe after 2-3 batches? I can't remember. I still brew other people's recipes though, especially if it is a clone of a commercial beer or a really popular recipe.

I brewed one on my 2nd batch. That was the 2 year old Cooper's OS lager can where I added hops & Munton's DME for the one Home Brewer TV's Gary liked so much.

My LHBS releases monthly "kits" that they put together in store with fresh ingredients. I've been brewing for two years, and still rely heavily on the recipes that come with the kits.

I brewed two kits before I started making my own recipes. Some people only brew kits. Depends on what you like. There's no right way. All that matters is you're making tasty beer.

Yeah, brewing kits is fine if that's what you're comfortable with or like. you can make it as simple or hard as you like. There's no right or wrong way, beyond getting the beer to turn out well. From AE to AG, there's a brewing style for every comfort level. Pick one & run with it until if & when you feel ready to move on. Peer pressure be damned! Don't think you have to hurry up to join the alleged cool crowd that brews all grain & kegs their beers. Just keep both feet on the wheel & do what you feel.

I have been brewing for about a year and a half now. I started out looking at the kits that Midwest Supplies sells - I would find a style that I wanted to try and then copy their recipe and go to my LHBS to buy ingredients since it was cheaper and I knew the ingredients (especially the yeast) would be fresh. I still do this if I am trying to brew a style that I have never done before, that way I know it will turn out to be a pretty good representation of the style. If I like the style then after a batch or two I will start to compare it to other similar recipes and see what I can tweak to try to make it fit my tastes better.

I've done that on a lot of beers myself. Like the Morebeer Irish red. I think it needs tweaking to make it more to the particular style I like. I liked Killian's Irish red before they changed it. Went well with ribs. So tweaking can be a fun way to learn what works well with what. Here's a pic of how Morebeer's Irish red kit turned out for me;

I have been brewing for 6 years and AG brewing for 5 1/2 and I still do "mostly" kits. Austin Home Brew is my LHBS (OK, it's 120 miles away but my son lives in Austin) and I usually buy their kits along with a 50# bag of base malt for SMaSH brews.
I have copied some recipes from BYO mag and when I am in Austin, I get what I need for those brews.
Maybe some day I will buy a bunch of different grains and hops and play with it but I have not been disappointed what what I am doing yet.Tomorrw I am brewing an Austin Irish Red Ale.

I've done that on a lot of beers myself. Like the Morebeer Irish red. I think it needs tweaking to make it more to the particular style I like. I liked Killian's Irish red before they changed it. Went well with ribs. So tweaking can be a fun way to learn what works well with what. Here's a pic of how Morebeer's Irish red kit turned out for me;

That looks pretty good to me. I just put a red ale in the secondary adding fruit. I hope the wateryness I tasted clears up with some age and carbonation. We shall see.

Mine wasn't watery, but I did steep & sparge the grains like when I'm mashing. Late extract additions as well. But to be honest, I think it tastes more like some kind of scotch ale. Not bad though.

Back