kisses from a Belgian craft brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leyon

Reaction score
Well, I don't really like introdution title, actually.

I am a Belgian craft brewer (as the title says).
I have been brewing for about 8 years, now.
My only conclusion is: I don't know anything!

I want to look at it the humble way, to be honest.
If I register, this is because I think there is a lot to learn from the North American CB (humble again!).

So, what can I brew?
I believe that, just like you, I tried almost the whole range :)
I can brew a Westmalle tripel quite ok. I manage(d) to brew an Orval, but all this is for the sake of the challenge, I prefer to go for my own recipes.

I am an Orval fan (my parents grew up in this idyllic remote region of the country called the Ardenne - n o "s", please) Oh, by the Way, Orval's gender is male. I know it doesn't make any sense in English, but this is tattooed in my genes).

I don't come as a conquistador, shouting that Belgian beers are the best, and blablah, but let's say that I will try to serve a s source of info when it comes to Belgian beers, if you want!

Well, that's it!

Leyon

Welcome !

It was because of Chimay that I embraced Belgian ale (and beer in general), and now I have a passion for brewing. My favorite beer to brew is typically Belgian style, because I think that the Belgians have a gift for taking a very simple malt profile and creating something magical and unique depending on the yeast strain, hops, and fermentation temperatures.

Welcome!

Back when I started to brew, the craft beer scene hadn't really got going yet, so I looked to European Imports for different beers to try and ideas for brewing. Chimay Grand Reserve was, and still is, a favorite.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.

I spent a couple of weeks in Antwerp and Brussels for work a few years back. What a great country! We'd work hard during the day, but always took the time at night to sample the great brews that are crafted there. Welcome!

I'd be very interested in some techniques you may have to get a Westmalle like Tripel. I've made 2 so far, but neither have quite hit the Westmalle profile. Cheers

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully this forum can be a resource for you. Likewise, thanks for the offer of help from across the pond.

Welcome!

Certainly there is much you can learn. Even after years of brewing there is still more to learn.

I've heard that in Europe there are many craft breweries picking up American craft beer styles, just as Belgian beer has become the next big thing for craft brewers in America.

So we can be each others inspiration!

Another welcome!

And my first question for you... How do we make a belgian dark candi syrup at home that is comparable to what is used in Belgium?

Thank you very much for you warm welcome.
I will start posting soon (I will start reading, obviously)

Another welcome!

And my first question for you... How do we make a belgian dark candi syrup at home that is comparable to what is used in Belgium?

This is definitely what you need: http://www.candico.be/produits/sucre-candi/sirop-de-candi.aspx
I don't know any other producer...

I think this is just cassonade witrh a bit a water.

Leyon

Back