Kinda Aroused by BugCounty ECY-20!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
Hell Yeah! 15 Gallons of Lambic Strong Wheat infected with ECY-20 BugCounty!!! That chit is tough to get. 8 months till it's ready! Can't wait to pitch onto those yeast cakes!

The right hand one is already bubbling and needed 2 additions of Fermcap-S to hold down the blow off. The ECY20 was dated November 7, 2013 on that one. The other 2 were December 17, 2013 dated - no activity in them yet. If I remember correctly that is normal as it allows time for the bugs to reproduce before the Sacc overwhelms the fermentation.

Does anyone know for a fact if ECY20 behaves like Wyeast 3763 Roeselare (sacc is intentionally underpitched for a super slow initial takeoff allowing the bugs time to get up to a reasonable population)???

ECY20 information from Al:

The limited release for ECY20 BugCounty is approaching (Nov/Dec). A few facts - there is no bulk yeast strain and no Acetobacter in the mix.

There will be a total of 20 organisms in the culture: Brettanomyces yeast make up the bulk of the blend (15 strains/species) including bruxellensis, lambicus, clausenii, anomala, custersianus, nanus, naardenensis. Bretts from the old ECY blends #1 and # 9 are back including not one but two stains from Drie Font. Also the brett from ECY03 was included of course.

A wild yeast isolated from gueuze was added called Pichia membranefacians. Although very little impact is expected from this oxidative yeast (no acetic acid was detected), it is likely to assist in pellicle formation.

Two Saccharomyces yeast are included. One a sherry yeast, the second a close relative of S. cerevisae called S. paradoxus. Paradoxus has been linked to wine additions for its aromatic properties, pectinase activity, and the ability to partially convert malic to lactic acid.

Finally, two lactobacilli are added with a healthy dose of slime-producing Pediococcus. Slime produced will dissapear and be consumed by Bretts adding more complexitiy.

BugCounty is intended for all kinds of wild beers - especially lambic-style ales, Oud Brune/Flemish red ales. BugCounty will infect any beer.

Sounds more like the noahs ark of yeast blends. My original bug county beer was amazing. Wish I had some left. Took it to nhc, did not make it home. Looking forward to the new batch, just such a long wait!

All 3 carboys are bubbling away in my fermentation chamber along with a 60 gallon conical of roeselare infected yumminess. Stable at 65 F for a long 6-8 months.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have a simple pils/wheat beer going with ECY20 right now and it has some serious sulphur going on, you guys using this stuff ever had this happen? I split the batch and used the other half with 1 year old ECY01 and that beer took off faster, and is tasting better. Kind of perplexed

I did a sour in the rye clone with it and it is the gnarliest/funkiest thing i've ever tasted after just 2 months. Not much acidity in it yet though but it has been hanging out in my basement which is low 60s.

Did you get on a wait list for these vials or are they readily available? I haven't really paid much attention to ECY.

I did a sour in the rye clone with it and it is the gnarliest/funkiest thing i've ever tasted after just 2 months. Not much acidity in it yet though but it has been hanging out in my basement which is low 60s.

Care to share the recipe?

Back