Kilts and the brewers who wear them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ever worn a kilt?

• Yes, I own one and have been known to wear it on occasion.

• Nope, never, nada, eva eva eva in a million years.

• Never have, but would like to given the chance.

• Yes and never will again.

• Yes, and I want to again.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've got the lederhosen, and yes I have worn them in public, every year to the Octoberfest, but I would totally love to have a kilt I would think they would be way more comfortable than lederhosen.

Yeah, you'd figure being German they would have taken into consideration your sausage when designing a mens garment, lol. I really would like to get a set of nice lederhosen for Oktoberfest. Wish I knew a good ethnic German seamstress who could do all the neat design and stuff. I picture myself looking like EdWorts avatar picture one day at a fest, lol.

Yeah, you'd figure being German they would have taken into consideration your sausage when designing a mens garment, lol. I really would like to get a set of nice lederhosen for Oktoberfest. Wish I knew a good ethnic German seamstress who could do all the neat design and stuff. I picture myself looking like EdWorts avatar picture one day at a fest, lol.

There is a guy at the Octoberfest in Mt. Angel Oregon every year that does custom stuff, it's kind of pricey but then again it looks good. I will agree with you on the thinking the Germans would have thought more about the sausage, there isn't a lot of room in there and on a hot day they are torture to wear.

I'm not sure how the Scottish feel about people who wear kilts, but it bears mentioning that most Germans look at Bavarians like Americans look at hillbillies. Lederhosen are like a pair of overalls and a straw hat in Germany.

Here you are Evil...

This old Scottish guy was sitting in a local pub having a chat with this young lad at the bar with him, he turns to look outside, then turns to the lad and says:
"You see that boat out there lad? I built that boat,blood sweat and tears, do you'd think I would be known as 'MacGregor the Boat builder', but nooo..."
He turns and looks back out the window and pokes the lad in the arm and says:
"You see that dock out there lad? I built that dock! Took me weeks, you think I'm known as 'MacGregor the Dock Builder'? Noooo..."
He took another swig of ale and nudged the lad again.
"Look at this bar...beauty ain't she? I built this bar with my bare hands.
You'd think I'd be known as 'MacGregor the Bar Builder', but nooo..."
The poor lad didn't know what to say, he just sat silent and waited for the old guy to speak again,when finally he did: "Yup...all that hard work and no recognition for any of it" he said.
Then he looked around to see if anyone else could hear and whispered to the lad:
"But ya screw one goat...."

It is just a funny joke about a scottish guy named MacGregor that the punch line is all you need to start laughing if you know the joke.

OK, so I saw these kilts on DIY Network's "Cool Tools" and thought I'd look them up.
I found the Ultilikilts website and the video on the front page loaded.

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure that a video of a man in a skirt planting flowers is making the case that these things aren't fruity! Couldn't they at least feature welding or something? Sheesh!

LOL, I saw that same cool tools hardware show episode! LOL, I don't like the Utilikilt metal button/snap/whatever and the smaller front skirt. Just don't like the look, but would like a solid kilt out of duck cloth or heavy canvas. No matter what the look, they are way comfy.

I want a kilt.... badly. I haven't scraped the money for one yet, but am thinking about asking for one for Christmas. I would love to wear one all the time!

As for the hosen... I wear mine out quite often. I have three pair and although I do get a few laughs or weird comments from guys, the ladies do like them and most guys think it is cool. If you have a nice pair of lederhosen that fit well, they are actually a very attractive look with a T-shirt.

I wish we'd get more people to post pictures of themselves in their kilts. I can't wait until this latest one gets here. My next one is a Black Stewart I think.

I was a member of the Nova Scotia Highlanders and our dress uniform was a kilt,..damn hot in the summer, cool and breezy in the winter. I wish I still had it.:mug:

Look what I found, lol.
5770_1.JPG

My G/F thinks this is too cute. A fricken Gordon clan koozie, lol. They have all sorts of different tartans too on ebay.

Man I really need a brown leather belt and sporran. Thinking of having them made locally and matching the color to some nice boots or something. All black is what I do now, but man I would love to have a better variety to wear with the kilt.

I just posted this over in the label section, but thought it might be appropriate here. Had a big Oktoberfest bash this weekend and wore my new shirt and freshly hemmed Utilikilt. My mother in law was kind enough to raise the hem 1.5" for me.

manskirt_shirt1.jpg

-Joe

I have never worn one but I had thought about getting one a few times, but I always had other things that needed the money. After reading this here, it has put the bug there again.

Nos, sweet shirt. I wish I could get a utilikilt with a wider front apron and no snap/button/whatever on the front. I think duck cloth (canvas) would make a sweet sturdy working kilt for me.

Hippie, they are fantastic to wear and very comfy. I highly recommend one when you get the chance. Frugal Corner has some sale kilts going on right now. I only wish they had them in my waist size. I really want a solid or non-tartan kilt for brewing.

Yep, but for $245 CAD that is a lot. Looks like great quality, but for someone wanting to get icky in a kilt that is a lot. I'd rather change the oil in my FC kilt for that money and still have enough for another kilt. Now, when it comes to their traditional $285 CAD isn't bad at all for that kind of quality. I think I will stick with Frugal Corner for the cheap non-wool and save Freedom Kilts and all the other great ones for the wool. I really wish I knew of a direct equal competitor of Frugal. You really have to have the kilts side by side though to feel and look at them properly. I will say that the lighter weight offered by Frugal is not worth it and way to light for a kilt.

My family is part of Clan Maclaren. We have a plaid and everything. I would happily wear it if I could afford it.

hcarter, I'm also a sept of Clan MacLaren. There is so much overlapping when you have a popular last name that it makes it very hard to "100% for sure" know exactly where and who you belong to without DNA, but I like being in the two I associate with. Clan MacLaren and House of Gordon. I get Clan Macarthur for Carter as a surname, I am only assuming based on your forum nickname. Less than $100 delivered is not expensive to me when jeans are $50 a pair and are not universally formal and casual-ware. ;)

hcarter, I'm also a sept of Clan MacLaren. There is so much overlapping when you have a popular last name that it makes it very hard to "100% for sure" know exactly where and who you belong to without DNA, but I like being in the two I associate with. Clan MacLaren and House of Gordon. I get Clan Macarthur for Carter as a surname, I am only assuming based on your forum nickname. Less than $100 delivered is not expensive to me when jeans are $50 a pair and are not universally formal and casual-ware. ;)

ya know I honestly don't know much about the Carter side, but I am positive about the Maclaren's. My family sent a copy of our family tree to the CMSNA (clan maclaren society of north america) someone did the DNA test and sent it back. Now, I got all this info from a cousin, so ya know, grain of salt, but since my mother is a Patterson and they accept all Patterson's, I'm good to go. (as far as I'm concerned):D

I've wanted a nice kilt for quite awhile, but I'm not a bit Scottish, I think I need lederhosen first.

I bought a Utilikilt a couple months ago and LOVE it! No tartan, just flat back. I want to eventually get a kilt with my family tartan on it (Ross clan), but I want to do it up right...which costs WAY more money than I have right now.

Here's me in the kilt at the Yakima Fresh Hop Festival:
Not Quite Palm Springs: Fresh Hop Ale Fest

I am Scottish (in case you did not pick up on the accent) and have worn my kilt dozens of times. Weddings mainly, dances, just simply for the fun of it and getting pished. Had to wear it for a funeral last year.

...will drag it out tonight!

My wife's been wanting me to get a kilt. She's even researched my tartan and found where to get it from and everything.

Back