Kickstarted a second fermentation? (On accident)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groo

Reaction score
I worked on my second brew last Saturday and the process went much smoother than first. The brew started fermenting by the morning and bubbled for two days. It stopped but then one day I accidentally kicked my fermenter (it's under my desk) and now its been bubbling for two days.

What's going on? Did I resuspend the yeast and kickstart a second fermentation?

No, more than likely you kicked up co2 which is coming out of the arilock, that is NOT the same thing as fermentation starting again.

You don't know whehter or not fermentation is started, all you know is the airlock is bubbling. An airlock is not a magic fermentation gauge, it is a vent, a valve to release EXCESS Co2. Which often happens if the temps or atmospheric pressure changes, or if you kick or nudge the fermenter. ;)

A hydromter is how you tell what is happening in your beer, not whether or not the airlock is bubbling.

Hey Revvy, do you have a refractometer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/0-32-ATC-Brix-B...635?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35accc8e63

I just bought this one, and am LOVING it. Once calibrated, it was dead on with my hydrometer, and it only needs a few drops instead of half a beer's worth. For $25 I should have bought one when I first started. Especially considering all the hydrometers I've broken.

Sorry for the threadjack, carry on.

I feel like Revvy has pre-written posts for the most common subjects. I swear I've seen exact repeat posts on different threads from Revvy, especially regarding bottle conditioning.

Latest posts

Back