Key lime Pie Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bauerbrewery1989

Reaction score
Key Lime Pie Ale

This is for a 1 gallon test batch, I just don't have the room to make anything bigger right now.

---Mash---
4oz Crystal Malt 80L
4oz victory malt

---Boil---
1 lb Amber or Light DME (still thinking about which)
1/4 oz cascade (45min)
1/4 oz cascade (15min)
Zest of 1 Key Lime (5min)
8oz lactose (5min)
4oz meadowfoam honey (flameout)

---Yeast---
Nottingham Ale

---At Bottling---
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp lime extract

I was going to let this age for a few weeks for the flavors to really mellow. I can see it tasting pretty harsh when its green.

I was also thinking of priming the beer with a Dark Belgian Candi to give a caramel, almost burnt sugar flavor to it. (Like a toasty meringue)

Gonna give this a shot this weekend. Ill be brewing this along with some hard root beer. Hoping it doesn't come out tasting like cleaning solution. Any suggestions/corrections/comments?

Have some more lime around when you transfer to secondary. I've found "dry-hopping" citrus zest is quite effective, so if your lime flavor is too small (one key lime isn't much zest, even for a gallon batch), add some in then.

Alright, I'll have to have one on hand then for the secondary, much appreciated. See, I shouldn't be allowed to go to the grocery store, because I saw a key lime coconut chocolate bar, and throught, i wonder if I could make this into a beer...so if this turns out good I'll be adding cocoa nibs and toasted coconut in the secondary for the next batch.

So I was really busy this weekend and didn't have time start this, but I'll be making it tonight. I decided to take benfalths advice and add most of the lime zest in the secondary. Also I'll be going with the Amber DME.

I would like to know how this turns out. One of my buddies and I were talking about coming up with an island brew. Maybe a hefe with coconut,lime,and orange or mango.

Just an update.

This is what I ended up with so far, it's drastically different then the original recipe I started out with. When I went to get the Cascade hops they were all out, also out of Lactose. I decided to go with Willamette because I really like the mild flavor it gives, and felt the lime would be more pronounced. I really regret not adding some finishing hops but the LHBS I go to was drastically under stocked. Ill be adding the lime zest of 2 limes, 4 oz meadowfoam honey, and 4 oz lactose in the secondary. Also I'll be making a dark invert sugar for priming the bottles so as to add a caramel, almost burnt sugar flavor.

---Mash---
4oz Crystal Malt 80L
4oz victory malt

---Boil---
1 lb Amber DME
1/4 oz Willamette hops (45min)

---Yeast---
Nottingham Ale

Yeah, I was going to add the lactose in the secondary. I think I'm using 4oz to start and see if that's enough. Hopefully by then I can get ahold of some.

So I just got done bottling. I added the zest of 2 limes and 6oz lactose to the secondary. I used a dark invert sugar to prime. As it is now, it tastes pretty good, a decent ale with a citrusy lime aftertaste. Very mild and fresh tasting. It's not what I was going for, but still a good beer. Ill definatly be trying this with my original recipe when I get the chance though. It could use some buttering hops and maybe something more to add body.

Ive read somewhere, I think for a smores brew, adding some graham crackers in the mash might help with that "pie" flavor and thicker mouth feel. I would avoid the cinnamon drenched crackers if possible.

Latest posts

Back