Key Lime Kolsch style Ale woops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So brewed up 5 gallons of a lovely Kolsch, and it was on day ten I decided to add about 4# worth of Key Lime puree. The SG at the time was 1.011, so it was about finished or was right there. Added the fruit, bumped the SG to 1.023, hasn't moved in about four days. The flavor is superb, just super tart, was hoping the yeast would temper that a bit. Used Wyeast 2565, tried raising the temperature and giving the fermenter a swirl, still nothing. Was curious if I pitched some more yeast to get it rolling a gain, or is it just too acidic at this point? I am open to suggestions. I appreciate you all!

If your yeast already flocculated, and the pH now too low to pitch new yeast, you may be stuck. Doesn't mean it will not taste great. Would not hurt to rehydrate a couple packets of US-05 and pouring that in.

Okay. I ended up brewing a gallon batch of Kölsch and using some of my saved 2565 yeast. Hopefully it will finish out by Saturday morning. Gonna add that to the main fermenter to help the situation and make the batch less acidic. Fingers crossed

You probably could have gotten by with using the zest from 4-5 key limes or 2 regular limes to keep it from being super tart. Did a lime cream ale last year, with the zest of 4 regular limes and the juice of those limes added to the keg. Was great, but slightly on tart side too, would cut the juice in half next time. Thought I just saw that Annie Johnson has a recipe for a Coconut Lime Kolsch in the newest issue of Craft Beer and Brewing that sounds delicious that I may need to try.

I tried to brew a coconut lime ale using Sabro and cashmere hops . Didn't work out the way I wanted. Was thinking of going a milkshake ipa with that combo and see if it works better.

My gallon batch of Kölsch is nearly done, gonna rack it into the main fermenter tomorrow after work and see what happens. Hoping that the highly active yeast from the mini batch will finish the stalled main batch. Will report back.

Racked the entirety of the gallon batch into my main fermenter last night. It helped immensely with tempering the sour/tartness of the original batch. The still active yeast from the mini batch is still bubbling along now. I just sampled some and it is currently 1.013. I am happy with the outcome. I'm hoping to bottle on Sunday so I'll check gravity again Wednesday to see what happens.

Sorry for the late update! Hope everyone's Thanksgiving went well. Bottled the batch late Sunday afternoon, FG 1.012. The 1 gallon Kölsch addition to help move it along and dilute the sour punch of key lime worked! It is a hit with my brother-in-law who enjoys sours, my Wife likes it far more now as well. Thanks for everyone's input. The moral of my story, don't go full send and yeet four pounds of Oregon Fruit Puree into a 5 gallon batch of Kölsch, do half that.

Latest posts

Back