Kettle without false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
Don't know if anybody is familiar with the Polsinelli ecosystem (very popular in Europe), but I have 2 questions in case someone either used it or feels able to answer.

The 40 Gal (150L) version includes a stirrer that goes all the way down to the bottom (see 2nd photo) and, hence, no false bottom.

I will use it with the 24.5KW butane burner you can see on the 1st photo.

My questions are:

- Do you think the stirrer will be enough to prevent the grain from burning at the bottom, especially when rising from mash temp to mash-out?

- How much grain do you think will escape through the valve when I'll open it (assuming a 1.67qt/lb (3.5L/kg) water to grain ratio) before the grain bed will settle?

Thanks

Attachments

• polsinelli 2.jpg
    polsinelli 2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 106
  • polsinelli 1.jpg
    polsinelli 1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
The stirrer should prevent any scorching.

I can't imagine that you could drain without getting a ton of grain through the valve without some form of strainer. Like a bazooka tube, water line braid or false bottom.

The grain bed may set if you vorlauf enough, but I can't see that happening with a big hole in the side of the pot for the grain to come through.

- How much grain do you think will escape through the valve when I'll open it (assuming a 1.67qt/lb (3.5L/kg) water to grain ratio) before the grain bed will settle?
Thanks

Hopefully all af it, and into a proper sparge vessel with a false bottom or similar device. If all it took was to wait for the grain bed to settle, why do you think people would even bother with false bottoms and the like?
While it's true, as you've probably read or heard about, that the filtering action is actually performed by the grain bed itself, it does need some sort of support to keep it from running through with the wort.

My very first real mash started out as a BIAB, but guess what... the bag broke.
I pulled the bag and left the grains, let them settle just a bit and then drained normally through a 1/2" ball valve.
Surprisingly, very little grains came out. It worked really well.

Maybe let it cool a bit and use an auto siphon to siphon the wort and then add more sparge water once drained and siphon it again?

Back