Kettle Upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old_tx_kbb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on the cusp of a kettle upgrade.

I'm currently doing 5 gallon batches with: single tier brewstand, 2 pumps, and a therminator...MLT is a 10 Gal. Blichmann, HLT and BK and 10 Gal. economy Polarware Kettles

My goal is to brew 10 gallon batches and 5 gal high gravity( OG - 1.100+)

Solution #1:

MLT and HLT 15 Gal MegaPot 1.2, and a 20 Gal. MegaPot 1.2 BK
(this would be 3 new pots)

Solution #2

MLT would be a 15 Gal Blichmann, HLT would be my existing 10 Gal Blichmann, and the BK would be a 20 Gal Blichmann
(this would be 2 new pots and much cheaper than Solution #1)

Any feed back on the MegaPot experiences would be appreciated.

I'm leaning toward the Blichmann solution...only drawback is how high the temp probes are.

I upgraded a while ago when I built my single tier to all 15gal pots. If I had to do it over again, it would be to two 15 and one 20. But, make it so my 20 could either be a BK or a MLT. I rarely do 5 gal brews anymore. I mean, if I'm going through the process, might as well do 10. Same goes for barleywine. But, I can't fit the grain bill in my MLT for 10 gal of a barleywine. So there I'd use the 20gal for the MLT. You can certianly do 10 gal brews in a 15 gal pot, just need to watch your protien break. But you're going to have to do that with a 20 gal BK too.

Isn't there another drawn out thread already breaking down the pros and cons of each? I swear I was just reading one yesterday about the blichmann

Probably but for a vendor to just post that in response to any kettle inquiry seems silly. At least he could link to that "long drawn out" thread comparing the two. Right?

I have a 20 gallon and 55 gallon Blichmann, they are good pots but for the money, I would recomend the spike kettles. I just bought a 45 gallon spike kettle and I was very happy with the quality. It's not as shiny as the Blichmanns but it has welded fittings. IMO much better than the weldless pots. By the way if you want to do 5 gallon batches in the 20 gallon Blichmann, you will need at least 8 gallons pre boil to reach the thermometer probe.

Probably but for a vendor to just post that in response to any kettle inquiry seems silly. At least he could link to that "long drawn out" thread comparing the two. Right?

Like someone has said it's been talked about a lot and I know a couple members in particular that seem to get irritated every time we post BUT....

Our kettles have couplers that are physically welded to the kettle (welding done right here in the USA). The couplers are professionally TIG welded on and then the welds are professionally passivated (makes the welds shiny and prevents rusting).

Instead of washers and o-rings to make a water tight seal on the valve, thermo and sightglass our kettles simply allow you to hand tighten the accessories on; fewer parts to clean and easier installation.

I personally think our sightglass is nicer. We use push to connect fittings (no tools needed), it breaks down to only 3 easy to clean pieces and has a shield that protects 360 degrees from accidental bumps. It also comes with a clip on heat shield to prevent boiling in the sightglass when used with direct fire.

Same quality equipment for less money because we ship factory direct instead of through retailers.

-Spike Brewing

I just purchased some concord pots (15 & 20) to use with weldless fittings... great quality pot... its actually what Spike's uses I believe...
Came to about $200 for the two pots plus I'm ordering sightglass/valve/thermometer for both plus whirlpool for the 20 and those parts are going to cost another ~ $250... so $450 for two pots that're built out nice...

Back