Kettle sour low gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaBrewZoo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am doing my second kettle sour berliner weisse. My first batch turned out fantastic. I mashed 4# pilsner, 3 # wheat and 1# acidulated malt for 60 minutes. Boiled for about 15 minutes, no hops, cooled to about 100, and put in a carboy. I used about 4 ounces of uncrushed acidulated malt, kept it on a hot plate and kept the temp about 95 for three days. When the tartness was where I wanted it, I returned it to the kettle, boiled for about 30 minutes and added 1/4 ounce of sorachi ace hops. Gravity was 1.040, about .006 lower than expected. Fermented on US-05 for two weeks, FG 1.008.

This batch I did everything the same, and after souring and then boiling, my gravity is reading 1.024. What did I do wrong this time? I have a picture taken on the second day of souring. It was filled to within about an inch from the top of the carboy. I thought it might have been a little too vigorous for lacto. Maybe some wild yeast got in?

Sour beer souring 06192017-2-1.jpg

Yeah definitely not lacto, you got some surprise guests.

It's better to make a lacto starter ahead of time to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen, or use a pure lacto pitch from a yeast company

So I guess when I boiled, I boiled out all the alcohol it made and it's going to be about a 3% beer instead of 5%. It doesn't taste bad, so I guess it wasn't bad yeast.

Back