Kettle size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontrol

Reaction score
Currently planning to move soon to AG. I currently do 6 GAL batches, but plan to be able to also make 10 GAL batches.

So to make a 10 GAL batch I should get a 40+ QT kettle. Most likely 52QT because my LHBS have these. But will the bigger kettle size harm when I do 6 GAL batches? Like loss of heat or something?

Also Are those tri ply kettle wort it? (SS-Alum-SS) or is a SS kettle as good? What's your experience on this?

For 10 gallon AG batches I wouldn't go smaller than a 15 gal kettle, and I prefer 20 gal. I like a full 10 gallons in the keg so depending on the beer my boil volume usually starts around 14-14.5 gallons. You should be able to boil smaller batches in it but the boil off may be excessive percentage-wise. The thermometer on my 20 gal kettle isn't submerged with less than 8 gal.

I would go for the biggest kettle you can afford and/or can bring to a boil. You'll never regret it.

This won't hurt if I do half a batch? And what do you think of tri-ply for kettle or only plain SS?

The size of the kettle specifically does not effect your ability to do smaller batches. The aspect ratio and fittings can have issues but they do not effect the overall ability.

If the kettle is small diameter and tall, it is "ideal" for doing both small and large batches because there is a enough room to put all your fittings relatively low on the kettle (thermometer, sight glass, etc). They are also very rare and very expensive. Still, a relatively normal 1.5:1 aspect ratio pot is just fine but your evap rate is faster than tall and skinny.

I have never bothered with fancy pot designations...SS if fine for me. If you are concerned about scorching there are lots of things you can due to mitigate or eliminate it. The easiest is use a good burner with decent heat distribution and stir as you are working up to a boil. More complex but still easy is to have a piece of 1/4"-1/2" steel plate cut about 1/2" smaller than your kettle bottom...place between your burner and your kettle.

This won't hurt if I do half a batch? And what do you think of tri-ply for kettle or only plain SS?

Having a 15-20 gallon kettle (or a 15 gallon keggle if you can find one) would be ideal for a 10 gallon finished batch. If you go the stainless steel route I recommend getting a high quality one that has an aluminum core as part of the 3 ply bottom.

If you plan on going all grain then have you thought about what size of mashtun you plan to use?

No it won't hurt anything. Either of those options are fine for a Kettle, Aluminum works too and is easier on the pocket book. Just need to build up an oxide layer on Aluminum before brewing with it.

Go with the biggest pot you can afford. Keep in mind that once you move up to 10 gallon batches you need to install ball valves in your kettle and increase your ability to quickly cool your wort. 10-gallons of wort is extremely heavy. If you are not already brewing outside, you should also consider that. You will have a really hard time bringing that volume of liquid to a boil in your kitchen. A powerful propane burner makes things a lot easier.

I have a Bayou Classic 15.5 gallon and have been very happy with it. Amazon has some very reasonably priced aluminum pots.

Having a 15-20 gallon kettle (or a 15 gallon keggle if you can find one) would be ideal for a 10 gallon finished batch. If you go the stainless steel route I recommend getting a high quality one that has an aluminum core as part of the 3 ply bottom.

If you plan on going all grain then have you thought about what size of mashtun you plan to use?

So you recommend tri-ply? I think heat distribution is better and heat faster than plain SS.

Here's what my LHBS carry. I think he has pretty fair prices. The 60QT SS is cheap and there's quite a jump for the tri-ply thus my previous question :)

WSCN009
CHAUDRON INOX POLI 32 LT 2 TROU / POLISH STAINLESS STEEL 32 QT 2 HOLE
31,90$

WSCN025
CHAUDRON INOX POLI 60 LT / POLISH STAINLESS STEEL 60 QT
53,85$

WSCN026
CHAUDRON INOX FOND TRIPLE 18,9 LT / STAINLESS STEEL 18,9 LT TRIPLE BOTTOM
A VENIR
hauteur : 11" , diametre intérieur 11"

WSCN013
CHAUDRON INOX FOND TRIPLE 32 LT / STAINLESS STEEL 32 LT TRIPLE BOTTOM
77,00$

WSCN012
CHAUDRON INOX FOND TRIPLE 38 LT / STAINLESS STEEL 38 LT TRIPLE BOTTOM
84,05$

WSCN011
CHAUDRON INOX FOND TRIPLE 56 LT / STAINLESS STEEL 56 LT TRIPLE BOTTOM
115,00$

WSCN010
CHAUDRON INOX FOND TRIPLE 70 LT / STAINLESS STEEL 70 LT TRIPLE BOTTOM
158,25$

WSCN014
CHAUDRON INOX FOND TRIPLE 105 LT / STAINLESS STEEL 105 LT TRIPLE BOTTOM
200,00$

I will take the 52QT Coolman Xtreme for my mash tun. I won't need to make 10G of barley wine... :)

Yep for sure, I cannot do proper 10g batches in my 12g kettle. You really need a 15g or bigger to pull it off comfortably and without scary boil overs or messes. The extra dollars far outweigh the time spent cleaning wort off your floor or burner ;)

I think the 52 qt mashtun will do very nicely. Aluminum is a much better conductor of heat than stainless steel. If you want to save some money try finding a 15 gallon aluminum kettle/stock pot. You need to build up an oxide layer on the aluminum which is very easy to do with a 30 minute boil of water. Once this is done then it will be fine to use. I have 10 gallon versions of the 2 pots below that I use for 5-6 gallon batches. For larger one I use either a keggle or a 100 quart aluminum stock pot that works very well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHJI7G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AS81CA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 52 qt mashtun will do very nicely. Aluminum is a much better conductor of heat than stainless steel. If you want to save some money try finding a 15 gallon aluminum kettle/stock pot. You need to build up an oxide layer on the aluminum which is very easy to do with a 30 minute boil of water. Once this is done then it will be fine to use. I have 10 gallon versions of the 2 pots below that I use for 5-6 gallon batches. For larger one I use either a keggle or a 100 quart aluminum stock pot that works very well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHJI7G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AS81CA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yeah that's why I though Tri-ply could be a good option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll save you time OP

Buy this
http://www.homebrewing.org/1-Weld-15-gallon-SS-Brew-Pot-_p_2744.html

15 Gallon SS pot with 1 welded 1/2 port for $109. AIH has the best price out there for kettles, they are made of 18 gauge SS, identical to the fancy Blichmann's or any other kettle out there. As someone who went through this whole shopping and research process months ago, you wont find a cheaper SS kettle out there.

I use their 9 gallon version, a buddy uses their 15g version. If your doing 10G batches you need a port and ball valve, you shouldnt be lifting 90+ lbs of hot wort.

Back