Kettle Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBAdam

Reaction score
I've been looking to expand my gear into a bigger kettle. One so I can BIAB (will eventually get a mash tun) and two so I can boil the whole whole wort and stop topping it off. I have a nice propane burner. I am looking at
http://spikebrewing.com/collections/20-gallon-stainless-kettles

I have a few questions. One, is 20 gallons too big for doing 5 gallon batches? The reason I am looking for something so big is I would also like to do 10 gallon batches as well as I split the beer with someone often. Just trying to figure all this out :-D

You need 15 gallon minimum for a 10 gallon batch. 20 gallon is more than you need but it isn't overkill; that looks like a very nice kettle.
The problem with a 5 gallon batch is the placement of the top coupler; you really need it at the 3 gallon mark or it won't be in the mash.
Also, the boil off will be higher than a standard 7 gallon turkey fryer but you can easily compensate for it by starting with a little more wort.

The wider the kettle, the faster the boil-off rate, and the more volume you will need to start with.

For that kettle size, figure about 1" = 1 Gallon (same as the Blichmann). If you have the vertical temperature port option then you might not be able to measure temperature after your boil on a small batch. The sight glass version should be fine.

I believe Stout makes the narrowest 20 gallon kettle (15.75") so you get more height and less boil-off for the same volume:
https://conical-fermenter.com/20-Ga...rmowell-Tangential-Inlet-and-Sight-Glass.html

If I were doing it again i would have bought the biggest kettle i could first. instead i bought multiple kettles as i progressed from extract to all grain 5 gallon now to all grain 10 gallon.

20 gallon kettle is ideal for 10 gallon batches. I have a 15 gallon kettle but I'd find 20 to be much more comfortable for batches of that size.

Back