Kettle questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at upgrading a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot to a 10 gallon SS. I've been eyeing the Polar Ware Economy 10.5 gallon kettle. Does anyone know the difference between the economy kettle vs their standard kettle? Being a cheaper pot, I understand it's going to be lower end than a several hundred dollar brew pot, but is it worth it in the short term?

most of the time the "economy" pots are just thinner walled. 1mm vs 2-3mm. I have a 1mm pot and it is plenty rigid.

I'm looking at upgrading a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot to a 10 gallon SS. I've been eyeing the Polar Ware Economy 10.5 gallon kettle. Does anyone know the difference between the economy kettle vs their standard kettle? Being a cheaper pot, I understand it's going to be lower end than a several hundred dollar brew pot, but is it worth it in the short term?

That kettle is like .6 or .8mm thick which is quite thin. The handles are just spot welded on and it might be a 200 series stainless vs 304 stainless steel. It's just a stripped down kettle that has been cost reduced in all aspects.

most of the time the "economy" pots are just thinner walled. 1mm vs 2-3mm. I have a 1mm pot and it is plenty rigid.

A 2-3mm kettle would be made from aluminum, not stainless steel. Just an fyi :mug:

is it? my AL pot is 6mm thick.(according to my caliper) is that normal?

Regarding the Polarware Economy kettle, is it cheap enough to not be worth it, or is it considered a worthwhile low end kettle? Long term I'll upgrade to something nicer, but for the time being I want something worthwhile, but affordable, to make 5 gallon batches without having the boil over issues from a smaller pot.

The economy kettle is lighter weight and not as durable as a commercial kettle.

With care, it will last forever with occasional light use.

Not meant to be slammed around a commercial kitchen on a daily basis.

My guess you will be satisfied and get lots of use out of it. I also would not look at it as an interim kettle....lots of folks brew with less for years.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Personally I would go with a higher quality aluminum pot. I bought this one 2 years ago and it's still in perfect condition. Looks like it's at least $30 less and it seems like a better pot. If you're trying to save money, aluminum is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would go with a higher quality aluminum pot. I bought this one 2 years ago and it's still in perfect condition. Looks like it's at least $30 less and it seems like a better pot. If you're trying to save money, aluminum is the way to go.

I like aluminum pots!
In the interest of keeping this apples to apples, the lid for your proposed aluminum alternate is $15

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003HEUYFW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

With a net savings of around $15

Last edited by a moderator:
AL is ALOT easier to drill too. consider that in the purchase if you plan to DIY the holes in it

Thanks everyone for the responses!

The problem actually solved itself, as I visited a local restaurant supply place and picked up a 52qt SS pot with lid for $50. It's in damn good shape. Gonna get a little PBW soak and it'll be good as new!

Thanks everyone for the responses!

The problem actually solved itself, as I visited a local restaurant supply place and picked up a 52qt SS pot with lid for $50. It's in damn good shape. Gonna get a little PBW soak and it'll be good as new!

Sweet! That's a great deal. Nice find!

Back