Kettle Limitations and Alternatives

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foam_top

Reaction score
I've been shopping for a starter brew kit which commonly come in 1 and 5 gal kits. I'm definitely more interested in a 5 gal kit.

The issue I'm having is a 5 gallon batch requires a brew kettle of approximately the same capacity. I have no issue with purchasing the appropriate kettle but I'm reading that most of them are about 10+ inches in height and unfortunately I have one of those old one-piece, oven-stove combinations which doesn't allow for tall kettles. Can I get away with a smaller kettle, and if so, how small?

Other solutions that I have considered are (1) purchasing a one gallon kit instead or (2) buying a propane burner. Neither of which I am thrilled about. So, are there any other alternatives? Keep in mind this alternative would be a temporary solution.

Thanks in advance.

You can buy a smaller pot, use Fermcap, do a partial boil, and dilute it to 5 gallons after (mind you, this can only really be achieved using extract or partial mash brews).

Or you can do 1 gallon brews or brew outdoors with a propane burner (not as bad as it seems).

You can buy a smaller pot, use Fermcap, do a partial boil, and dilute it to 5 gallons after (mind you, this can only really be achieved using extract or partial mash brews).

Or you can do 1 gallon brews or brew outdoors with a propane burner (not as bad as it seems).

There are other options depending on your budget:

1500 watt induction burner.
Butane or propane burner.
Canning pot that is low and spans two burners (harder to find these days).
Electric heat stick.
Drilling a hole in your pot and adding a 1500 watt water heater element.

All this said, having cooked in European apartment, the absolute most expedient option is the tiny pot, concentrated boil.

I think this would be your best bet! This addiction (I mean hobby) will only become more addicting. The propane burner is great b/c it will give you an option to do bigger boils or batches if you choose later on. Plus as Jwalk said it is not as bad as it seems. I enjoy brewing outside b/c I do not need to worry about the ventilation for the steam, worry as much about making a mess with a boil over and just being outside is so much better than being coup'ed up inside.

Thanks to everyone who has helped...

I've decided I will go with the 5 gallon kit and I will compliment it with a propane or electric stove when I can afford one. Also thanks for bringing my attention to partial or concentration boils.

This is what I would like to do for my first few batches. I already have an 8 quart (2 gallon) kettle. I hope that will suffice temporarily but I'm open to advice.

EDIT: Ignore my previous comment. After doing some research I am aware a 2 gallon kettle is not sufficient even for partial boils. I'm just getting over excited about this new hobby that it's hard for me to be patient. I will just wait until I have the budget and equipment to do this properly...

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

I started with a 3G enamel canner-type kettle from wally world. Boiled on the stove and topped off my 5G batches.
Within a year, I bought a propane burner and Turkey Fryer kettle for $75 from Bass Pro Shops. Still using that 2 years later and it works quite well. Only problem is that it's a 7.5G kettle and a 10 G would be better for my boils. But I use Fermcap and watch the initial boil closely to regulate the burner, so I don't get boilovers.
So, hundreds or maybe thousands of partial boil brewers prove you can do what you're thinking about. But, I predict you'll size up fairly soon. Good Luck and Brew on! :mug:

Back