Kettle lid sanitization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorcutt13

Reaction score
I currently use brewers friend for brewing guidelines. I just noticed the instructions say to sanitize the kettle lid at 10 minutes until flame out. Does anyone do this?

I spray mine with Starsan right before the end of the boil, before I cover the kettle while I chill my wort

I've got a homemade hop spider made from a sink drain. It sits in the center of my opening and I rest the lid on there for the whole boil. It keeps my brew covered and lets the steam evaporate off.

I keep my spray bottle of Star San on my table outside and just spray the lid down a minute or so before covering.

I don't bother covering anything. It is exposed to the atmosphere for a very brief period of time - 15 minutes maybe - while it cools. If enough yeast gets in there to cause issue and overwhelm my yeast starter that I dump in after, then I'm brewing in the wrong place.

As 90% of the replies said so far, a spray bottle of starSan is your friend for everything while brewing, after brewing, and before brewing!

If you have a boil ripping, wouldn't the heat and steam coming off essentially pasteurize the lid?

I do an open kettle boil outside, anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes, depending on the recipe. Leaving the lid off. I use an immersion chiller, copper coil. So when I throw the coil in for the last 20 minutes of the boil, I partially cover so the steam hits the cover for that last period of time, 15-20 minutes or so. Makes me feel better about covering it completely with the lid at flame out. I'll also settle the lid where it wants to go best after flame out, minimizing the gap, and fold foil over the gap between the lid and kettle ... Again, just to keep wind riding bugs out while it cools enough for me to take it inside and start chilling and to keep anything out while chilling.

My understanding is that 20 minutes of boiling or steam is what it takes to sterilize, in a perfect world (which we homebrewers can't achieve or need, in a practical sense). I've never had an infected batch doing it this way, even on windy days in the northeast. Between a quick chill of the wort and a good starter yeast, I see a healthy fermentation start pretty quick. Always have a good foam going by early next morning.

But after watching Brew Dogs, I wonder how anyone ever gets an infected batch. Throwing yeast in with your bare hands?!?

I only cover when the wind is blowing hard and leaves and crap start blowing around. Even then I don't sanitize the lid. I guess it never occurred to me to do it. No infections yet.

-ben

I brew indoors on a gas stove, full boil with a copper coil IC. I don't use my lid. It makes the trek up from the basement to the kitchen on brew days, but sits on the counter. If I ever need it, I'll just give it a few sprays with StarSan and call it a day.

I don't bother covering anything. It is exposed to the atmosphere for a very brief period of time - 15 minutes maybe - while it cools. If enough yeast gets in there to cause issue and overwhelm my yeast starter that I dump in after, then I'm brewing in the wrong place.

+1

I do BIAB. When the lid comes off at the end of the mash, it doesn't find itself back on the kettle until the brew session is complete and all the equipment is clean and dry. If I didn't do BIAB, I don't think I'd even need a kettle lid.

My crazy ugly sort chiller prevents the lid from sitting on the kettle. I spray star san on foil and use that.

Latest posts

Back