Kettle Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velnerj

Simul justus et potator
Reaction score
I have read a few threads about kettle fermentation, that is, fermenting straight in your Brew Kettle without the hassle of cleaning/sanitizing and transferring to a fermenter (bucket or carboy etc.) My BK fits nicely in my temperature control chamber so I think I am going to go for it. I have looked at all the cons and the only one that bothers me a bit is not having a sealed lid with an airlock/blow-off tube. I will be using my Kettle lid and that is it.

I am willing to be there are some here who think this is not a good idea due to Oxygen ingress, but I am not that worried about it... Should I be?

I think it's similar to fermenting in any container that's not sealed - simply, you don't want to leave the beer in there for an extended time once active fermentation has ceased. Depending on the yeast strain, I would wait no more than 2-3 days following terminal gravity before transferring to a keg for additional conditioning. If you bottle, consider how to get clean beer into them.

Does the kettle have a ball valve so you can take gravity samples? If not, deduct a point there.

Oh, and kettles are usually a wider diameter for a given volume vs. any traditional fermenter, making it harder to rack off the sediment. And there will be a lot of sediment!

The only other issue is that your kettle is not available for another brew, should you get the urge.

Yes, the plan is to ferment until terminal gravity has been reached (usually around 7-10 days) then rack into a keg. Condition in keg for another week or so before chilling and carbing up to serving pressure. I have only ever made ales so this schedule works for 80-90% of the beers I would make anyway.

The only issue I can now see if I can cold crash before I rack into the keg (to make the sediment more compact and easier to rack off of). I suppose I could rack cold beer into the keg and let it warm up again and the remaining yeast can still "clean up." It's a bit unorthodox but not out of the realm of possibilities....

No port on the kettle. So I see the potential drawback there. But I have had too many issues with my fermenters lately that I think it's a fair trade off.

I only brew once in two months so having my BK "tied up" is a non issue.

With a healthy pitch of yeast the fermentation is going to be mostly done in a few days. You could transfer to your keg then. Your fermentation will no longer be vigorous. If you get a spunding valve you could even start carbing.
Transfer to keg with spunding, increase the temp a bit, and let it finish out. A floating dip tube could help with any sediment.

Latest posts

Back