Kettle diameter too narrow for weldless triclamp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R2Brew2

Reaction score
So I bought the Stilldragon 2" weldless triclamp connection a bit ago and finally got around to attempting an install today. Got a nice clean punch through the SS. Then I realized a problem: My kettle is too narrow and tall (about 12.5" diameter) for a ferrule that large, leaving far too large of a gap for the silicone washer to fill. Sure enough, it leaked badly.

Do I need to hammer out that part of the kettle to be flatter? And if so, does anyone have advice on how to best accomplish that?

Any pictures? How far of a gap are we talking? You might be able to just get a thicker silicone oring. If not, silver soldering is probably the best/only solution.

I tried taking a couple pictures last night, but they didn't turn out well. I'll try again later tonight.

Generally speaking, how large of a gap can you silver solder? It's pretty sizeable. I'll also measure it later.

Ugh, hope I didn't ruin the kettle with a huge hole!

If it were me, I'd put a piece of wood behind the hole and gently hammer it more flat so the weldless fitting will work. You might even remove the oring and screw it all the way down, that might flatten the area adequately.

If it's Tri clover you could just solder a radius end flange from bobby at brew hardware.com

How about leaving out the gaskets on the one you have and crank down on it until the fitting bends the walls into conformance? Then take it apart and put the gasket back in place.

I had this same problem when I built mine. I used the same ferrules from StillDragon. Just screw the ferrule in without the washer and bang on it with a rubber mallet. It won't damage the ferrule, but you can get it flat enough to screw it down with the washers in there. I've done 2 brews since then, no leaks.

I think Bobby's suggestion might be the best for you on that. Other then that the other option would be to solder on the tri-clamp ferrule.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I tried Bobby's method, but couldn't get it to work, though I think it was a matter of failed execution, not poor theory. The outside ferrule part had nothing for a wrench to grab on to, so I was limited by how hard I could grip without slippage. So I used a piece of wood on the inside. In hindsight, the piece of wood on the outside with a mallet may give a more uniform, smooth bend, but regardless, it worked. Held water during a leak test, trial run with the new element (one of Bobby's, in fact), and first brew last night!

I had this same problem when I built mine. I used the same ferrules from StillDragon. Just screw the ferrule in without the washer and bang on it with a rubber mallet. It won't damage the ferrule, but you can get it flat enough to screw it down with the washers in there. I've done 2 brews since then, no leaks.

Do you lay the kettle on the side or how do you do this? I just ran into the exact issue.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I tried Bobby's method, but couldn't get it to work, though I think it was a matter of failed execution, not poor theory. The outside ferrule part had nothing for a wrench to grab on to, so I was limited by how hard I could grip without slippage. So I used a piece of wood on the inside. In hindsight, the piece of wood on the outside with a mallet may give a more uniform, smooth bend, but regardless, it worked. Held water during a leak test, trial run with the new element (one of Bobby's, in fact), and first brew last night!

I tried the method of cranking down but I don't have a wrench that spans across that diameter. So the wood, you just lay the pot on the side and take a mallet and hit the wood for a bit? I'm using the bayou classic pot, if it matters.

Do you lay the kettle on the side or how do you do this? I just ran into the exact issue.

I just hold on the pot and bang on it from the side. Tighten it down as you go so it doesn't move around on you. You'll need to get some big Channellock pliers to tighten it down. The aren't that expensive at the big box store. It made it super easy.

Back