Kentucky Derby Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabeers

Reaction score
Hey guys. As a resident of louisville, I was thinking it would be perfect to make a brew in honor of the derby. Of course KBS or similar oaked/boubon beer is an obvious choice-but just like the past 3 years have forgot until too late for that type of aging. I have a belgian pale in primary and ordered last week ipa, blonde, hefe, and lemon wheat (w extra lemongrass) from the AHS 20th sale. I only have 6-7 weeks until derby so I'm pushing it, but thought wheats and blonde are good fresh and would be excellent for hot spring weather. Should I add blueberrys or the lemongrass (either could then take some sort of "bluegrass name")? Do recipes as is but give it a snassy horse racing name? Any suggestions for additions or names welcome.

If your feeling adventurous maybe a mint julep ale?

If not, then an Irish red ale would probably be pretty nice seeing how the Irish influenced Kentucky and the derby so much...

Planning on kegging or bottling? Just because that will determine your time line, but either way the wheat is the easy choice for time. I like the blue-grass idea, sounds tasty. Or could try something like your IPA with a really minty hops or maybe add some mint during secondary, to give you a Mint Julep IPA, simlar color to bourbon maybe throw in just a few little bourbon chips to add something. Or maybe do the blonde with some very floral hops and some rose hips or petals, for the Run for the Roses.
Either way enjoy your brew while watching the ponies run. Good luck on the brew and bets.

I really like all those ideas. I am bottling-so time is even shorter with conditioning. I read a few posts about brewing with mint-a few people have boiled mint w/ priming sugar to add at bottling time. Could be a good approach with not much time for a long secondary. Has anyone had success with mint? I may pick some up to add to currently bottled brews to see how I like the profile and to see what style it may go the best with. Also like the Rose Hip/Petal idea. Instead of just one derby batch may do something special with two batches. Any other ideas?

I would think muddling the mint and priming sugar would work, that's basically how I do my mint juleps, or make it sort of a simple syrup with mint. Garnish with mint would definitely give it some class, and additional aroma. Saw some other threads that mentioned Northern Brewer or Perle as sort of minty hops, not sure what else, and Crystal, Ahtanum, and EKG are talked about on a thread for being very floral if you're doing the rose brew.

Seriuously? A Kentucky Common is a good call ! I have 4 beers scheduled for derby. Leave the mint for the bourbon!

A Hefe will be quick and if we get a bit of warmup (like last week) that will be good.
And, some Hard Lemonade works wonders ( Last year, the guys named it LL's PantyDropper) :)

Kegging vs bottling is a big choice. Go see Paul @ MyOldKentuckyHomeBrew. He has great prices and service.

Everything sounds tasty, would be a good excuse to get a 3rd (or 4th) fermentor to get a few of these going-though all would be great summer beers if I don't finish in time. I will see what comes in the AHS kits and maybe swap out hops to get more of certain characters to use as bases. Somehow this is the first time Ive heard of the Kentucky Common. Have you had much success with it LooyvilleLarry? What Ive been reading on sour mashes is interesting and could be a good excuse to try a new technique (I can only do partial mashes but should be able to just add the extract for the boil after the partial sour mash).

The KY Common is not the simplest beer, but it would be a cool one for a derby party! It is a partially sour beer (think Guiness level). Maybe for next years planning !

For a good beer to intro some of your BMC friends to, try a Mild or a Brown. They are simple, quick to ferment. Bunch more flavor. Brew, pitch some Notty, you'll be done in 4 days. Even with bottling, you'd pull off a good one there.

http://seanywonton.blogspot.com/2008/04/deliverance-kentucky-sour.html

http://***********/stories/techniqu...ll-grain-brewing/1723-sour-mashing-techniques

When I think of Louisville, I think of the French. So a Saison seems natural.

Of course a Kentucky Common is an obvious choice, too.

Latest posts

Back