Kentucky Common and Souring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barnstormer

Reaction score
I thought about doing a KY common so it would be ready for the Derby in a couple months. I have done a little searching but I can't find much on this style and thought I might find some insight here.

I have read that some sour the entire mash for a day or so while others will sour only 20% to 50% of the base malt and add that to the rest of the mash on brew day while others still will mash like normal and just add some lacto to it. Is one way better than the others or are there pros and cons to each?

If anyone has a good recipe for this and wouldn't mind sharing that would be great! I have only found several doing a general search and the seem somewhat different as far as the grain bill goes.

Thanks in advance for the the input!

Thanks. I did find most of those, only one I didn't read before and that seemed like the one I was looking for. It seems that this style has been done both with a sour mash and without. Also answered some of my other questions about hops and yeast.

Thanks again.

I did mine as a 12-hour full-volume sour mash and got excellent results.

Note that the Wahl-Henius Handy Book doesn't mention souring the style at all, so it's likely at least a few breweries didn't. In that case, it's just a brown cream ale, which does sound intriguing.

The sour version, by the way, makes the world's greatest boilermakers.

I am trying my first sour and the Kentucky is the best suited beer description that comes up. I'm souring wort for a couple of days since the temp hits right around the mark after sparking. I put some organic Munich untracked in the incubator and will add yeast later. I do remember forgetting to empty my mash tun once for a while and then ditched it due to foul smell etc. but now am thinking a sour beer was invented only because of brewing too late in the day and on the wrong day which leaves trust and time to develop some cool beers. if it was my job to say what the heck and let's just rack it and taste it later I think I'd know how sour beers were invented

Back