Kenmore Chest Freezer Model 12909 - Anybody Using This Model?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is on order and due to arrive today actually.

This guy also used the same chest freezer for his build:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=515869

If you wouldn't mind, could you measure the shipping dimensions before you unbox it? I want to see if it would fit in my Grand Cherokee.

Would love to hear how many Corny's and 10# C02 fit.

The freezer in that build thread is the older model 16949. The newer model is slightly different.

No handle, temp control in front, slightly different dimensions and weight.

Is yours the older model?

Mind if I ask what you paid? ($299?)

Oh, ok! Didn't realize that.

Sure, I can do that! Hoping it comes in today (originally supposed to be last Thursday but was delayed). I checked my receipt and I ordered the newer model, #12909.

I paid the $299 or a tad less... I used Ebates to get 6% cashback and then my discovercard is doing an additional 5% this month as department stores, so probably like $285-290 after all said and done.

Nice!

Looking forward to hearing how you like it and thanks for taking the measurements!

Hey guys

I also ordered last night and used sears points to get it down to 280. The order was delayed to 12/30.

Since you're probably going to take measurements for a collar anyway would you mind posting them. I'd like to build out during Christmas break from work but don't have one in the floor at our local sears to measure.

Thanks in advance and hope u enjoy the keezer!

Picked up the freezer a few hours ago... The packaging was 45x24.5x34 (LxWxH). It fit quite easily into my Scion xB.

I am able to fit all four of my corny kegs easily inside along with the CO2 tank on the main floor (so I would assume 5 corny kegs without the CO2 tank if needed). I will be building the collar and such in the next few days, so I will advise my final setup in the next week or so!

Excellent, thanks!

Does it look like you could fit 2 Corny's and C02 on the hump with a collar?

In other words 6+ Corny's w/10# C02 like the 16949?

I hate to be a bother, but, are the interior dimensions the same as what's listed for the 16949?

I would guess the hump would only fit another corny and co2 tank with collar, but not three items. So in total I think you could cram 6 kegs and 1 co2 tank with collar. It would be right but I think it could work.

Tomorrow after work I'll grab those interior dimensions for you!

So the interior dimensions are 38x16x26... The hump is 8-3/4x16x9... Both dimensions (LxWxH)

In order to put a full size corny keg on the hump, you will need a collar of 8-9" to clear the lid. I also tried to get two of my kegs on the ledge but unless you rig something, only one fits. I didn't check to see if my 20lb CO2 tank would go on there with one, but I am guessing not since it roughly is the same diameter as the keg.

I would still guesstimate you are looking at 5 maximum on the floor with either the CO2 tank or one additional keg on the hump with the properly sized collar.

Hope this helps!

Appreciate all the trouble you went through to get the info...Thank You!!

Looks like it is a 2" wider but 1/2" shallower depth wise and maybe a little shorter.

The hump is also a little wider.

I'm comparing it to the older model on the specs layout thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=5616149&postcount=248

The older model (16949/16922) was able to get 6 corny's on the floor. One more on the hump w/the C02 tank with a collar (7-1/4")

Hey inverter

My post was delayed because of it being my first... Would you mind providing collar measurements?

Trying to work on it the next few days abs freezer delivery was delayed

Sure, I can do that when complete. I should have the collar dimensioned tonight or tomorrow morning sometime. I am going with a basic 2x6 wood collar that I am going to stain and such. I am hoping that by this weekend it will be fully functioning, just waiting for beer to arrive (the cream ale will finish primary early next week).

For people looking at Sears for their chest freezer, they're currently doing a $10 free electronic gift card with each $50 gift card purchase. It takes a bit (up to 10 days) for the bonus e-card to come in, but if you can wait you can definitely save some money.

Cheers!

Thanks, I'm also leaving towards the 6" height but keep going back and forth on one 2" or an inner 2" with a 1x8 outer.

Well, we're going to need to start seeing some pictures guys. Kegs in the freezer, build in progress.... All that stuff.

For people looking at Sears for their chest freezer, they're currently doing a $10 free electronic gift card with each $50 gift card purchase. It takes a bit (up to 10 days) for the bonus e-card to come in, but if you can wait you can definitely save some money.

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing!

Where's the info on this deal? I couldn't find it on their website.

It's the last rotating promotion on the Sears homepage. I will say there's some hassle involved. They'll call you or email you to call them to verify you're a human being, and the bonus e-card is only valid until the end of January.

There's a thread on SlickDeals that explains everything in detail. With the bonus e-cards and SYW points, hoping to get the 7.2 Kenmore for ~$150!

Here is an update with my build...

Got the collar built, stained and insulated. It is currently drying at the moment. Used a mix of Loctite Power Grab and clear silicon caulking to seal it up the best I could.

Hoping to remount the freezer lid and the secondary regulators by the end of today.

Here was the collar with the pre-stain treatment on it:

IMG_4612_zpswfysueve.jpg

The chest freezer without the lid:

IMG_4613_zpsrdaplxxd.jpg

After two coats I believe of the aerosol stain/sealant hybrid I found at Lowes. Worked nicely.

IMG_4614_zpsw0804mnc.jpg

Adding two layers of a relatively cheaper insulation option... Was $10 for a large roll at Home Depot.

IMG_4625_zps7gmksxpy.jpg

The finished collar after about five coats of stain... I really liked how dark it came out. It was Minwax Polyshades Stain & Polyurethane - Bombay Mahogany.

IMG_4627_zpsa2h1oauj.jpg

Will update as I get it mounted back on the freezer.

Looks real nice. I like that color on it too. how long did you wait in between coats?

Are your tap holes spaced 3 or 4 inches? I'm guessing 4. And could you please post your collar measurements?

Nice! Thanks for posting. I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this freezer.

I was hoping it would fit 6 Corny's and 1- 10# C02 tank.

Finished about 90% of the build today. Only thing left to do is add the beer lines, air circulation fan and get some beer to tap!

All else is setup. I will get some pics up tomorrow sometime if I can.

The faucets are spaced 5" apart. I wanted extra room for the flow control since my hands are huge. Lol

I really think 5 corny kegs are a safe bet with a co2 tank inside. It may be difficult to squeeze in six plus a gas tank... Not sure if even possible. Six would be possible with one on the hump of the collar was high enough.

I'll grab those collar dimensions tomorrow as well.

Kicking some booty over there! You don't waste any time! LOL

The chest freezer "collar" that you lay the collar you make on is approximately 43-7/8 x 22-1/4

The "O.D." of my collar is 42-3/4 x 21-5/8

The "I.D." is 39-3/4 x 18-5/8

I purposely made the built collar smaller than the ledge of the freezer... If I did the build again I would probably just make it flush, though.

Stain wise, I waited about 15-20mins inbetween each coat. I only sprayed the front and two sides, not the back. It got considerably darker with each stain and eliminated any "blochiness" from the wood used, since I didn't buy any fancy oak or anything.

Here is the inside of the keezer with the manifold installed and the gas lines all set to go:

IMG_4634_zpsnxe9a5qv.jpg

Another view... All connects also have stainless hose clamps on them as well to ensure a tight seal.

IMG_4635_zpshwwktvrh.jpg

Pretty good view of the taps... Spaced 5" apart, centered on the collar. I wanted more room between the taps.

IMG_4637_zpsr3ts9k1r.jpg

With the entire setup inside... Only thing missing is the air circulation fan I plan to install on the roof of the freezer, not sure how just yet though. You can see you could easily fit a 5th on the floor if you wanted and another on the hump if the collar is high enough.

IMG_4639_zpsbfbvhxna.jpg

Another view

IMG_4640_zpsuo4sxydu.jpg

Closer view of the complete setup

IMG_4644_zpsuhaihosd.jpg

Picture of the side where the gas line and A419 controller sit (controller is double-sided velcro'd into place)

IMG_4645_zpsffzvactq.jpg

And a wider view of the bar "nook"... Still some materials and such laying around, but once cleaned up it looked real nice. I also have pre-cut two additional gas lines for purging growlers/bottles and another with a gas attachment for doing other misc. keg tasks since I have the dual primary regulator. This is one reason I kept the tank outside of the freezer.

IMG_4642_zpseh9s5xh0.jpg

Hope this helps those planning to build one of these! I had fun doing it and only took about two days start to finish. All that is left is cutting some beer line and getting beer inside the keg!

Let me know if any other questions!

Very nice! Do you know how tall of a collar you would need to fit a corny on the hump?

Dang you really did that build quick! It looks awesome. Also looks like you have the perfect freezer nook. Lol

Thanks for the measurements and for an education... Looking at what you have on tap I had to look up the krampus. ;)

Are you just running the temp controller sensor line under the lid? Curious to see what you do with the fan.

Would a 10# C02 tank sit on the hump in your build?

How tall is the 10# tank? I'll check. I use a 20# tank, not sure how much different they are. Mine also has a lifting handle which makes it taller.

As far as the temp probe line, I drilled a hole in the back by the manifold that it pops right through... Then I feed the line right behind the regulators. The probe itself currently is sitting about 1-1/2ft off the bottom of the freezer. I will likely attach it to a jar of water or something so anytime I open the door it won't kick on.

Thanks for the compliments! I'll share a picture when the space is all cleaned up and the drop tray is installed I ordered. I collect coasters from all the breweries we go to, so we made them into magnets and they are all on the front of the keezer. Also put up my giant fatheads bottle cap to make the area even more "festive!". Haha

10# tank is ~22-1/4" tall

Should be good... I just measured and from the hump to the top of the lid you are looking at about 23". The collar height of mine is actually 5-1/2" (nominal was 2x6").

So today I finished the keezer! I was able to get the air circulation fan mounted to the roof of the keezer using superglue, magnets, felt and the fan itself. The felt was just a spare part from my drumkit for the cymbals, so that isolates any vibration/noise the fan may cause with the lid... The magnets are just stacked and glued together. The fan is a variable speed fan, the same one I used to make my spin plate which I really liked, good quality fan... Got it off Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080G0BK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20).

Since the usb came is flat, I just laid it flat across the sealing foam, it shouldn't cause an issue. Airflow is downward and you can feel the draft if you crack the lid slightly and put your hand off to the side, so it's working well! I highly doubt it will budge, either... That super glue is tough stuff!

Cut all my beer line to 4.5ft (since I have the perlick 650's)... I am two hose clamps short to connect the last two taps, so I just need to stop at the hardware store up the street to be 100% done...

For two days of building I am really happy with how this space turned out! Before, it was a huge entertainment center in the nook that nobody used (the TV and couches and stuff are a floor up... This room just has the fireplace, computer, etc...)... Should be a killer space when friends come over... Really excited.

Tuesday I will be transferring my first beer into a keg (Cream Ale) and brewing the second one on Wednesday (Porter). The last will be brewed a week and a half later, single hop IPA (Azacca)... Hoping to tap all three near the end of January for a tapping party. Girlfriend is buying a Destihl Sour 1/6th to fill the 4th tap. :tank:

Finished picture of the "nook". The shelving off to the right will be filled with all my beer glasses after new years.

IMG_4653_zpsjv6nyr7v.jpg

The magnets we made from the coasters we collected. The drip tray will be installed this week when it arrives (magnetic).

IMG_4647_zps0nm8o0rt.jpg

Finished interior with the beer lines in along with some of my bottled brew.

IMG_4650_zpsoqb0ekge.jpg

The air circulation fan

IMG_4648_zpso4dq9lll.jpg

So I glued the first magnet with superglue to the lid of the freezer... It set very quickly as you would expect... I glued the felt to the fan "grill". The felt had a magnet I glued into it which I would then glue to the stack of 3 other magnets. Worked out very well! If the fan should ever fail, the felt will just rip apart... Won't be too bad.

IMG_4649_zpskp4uqodl.jpg

You can see the speed control knob at the bottom. I have it at medium, currently.

IMG_4651_zpsgvdc7hon.jpg

Again, if any questions feel free to ask! :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, incredibly nice and clean build! I've been planning to build a keezer very soon and this thread gave me a lot of great info, and this size model might just fit my needs perfectly. Commenting for future reference, and thanks for posting!

Thanks, appreciate the compliments!

I did some temp tests in the freezer the other day... A small glass of water positioned at three spots in the freezer, letting each position "soak" for a few hours... The top of the keg, the shelf and the floor. I have my temp controller set for 42F and I measured +/- 1F or so at all positions. The fan really works nicely to even out the temperatures!

Should be good... I just measured and from the hump to the top of the lid you are looking at about 23". The collar height of mine is actually 5-1/2" (nominal was 2x6").

So today I finished the keezer! I was able to get the air circulation fan mounted to the roof of the keezer using superglue, magnets, felt and the fan itself. The felt was just a spare part from my drumkit for the cymbals, so that isolates any vibration/noise the fan may cause with the lid... The magnets are just stacked and glued together. The fan is a variable speed fan, the same one I used to make my spin plate which I really liked, good quality fan... Got it off Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00080G0BK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20).

Since the usb came is flat, I just laid it flat across the sealing foam, it shouldn't cause an issue. Airflow is downward and you can feel the draft if you crack the lid slightly and put your hand off to the side, so it's working well! I highly doubt it will budge, either... That super glue is tough stuff!

Cut all my beer line to 4.5ft (since I have the perlick 650's)... I am two hose clamps short to connect the last two taps, so I just need to stop at the hardware store up the street to be 100% done...

For two days of building I am really happy with how this space turned out! Before, it was a huge entertainment center in the nook that nobody used (the TV and couches and stuff are a floor up... This room just has the fireplace, computer, etc...)... Should be a killer space when friends come over... Really excited.

Tuesday I will be transferring my first beer into a keg (Cream Ale) and brewing the second one on Wednesday (Porter). The last will be brewed a week and a half later, single hop IPA (Azacca)... Hoping to tap all three near the end of January for a tapping party. Girlfriend is buying a Destihl Sour 1/6th to fill the 4th tap. :tank:

Finished picture of the "nook". The shelving off to the right will be filled with all my beer glasses after new years.

IMG_4653_zpsjv6nyr7v.jpg

The magnets we made from the coasters we collected. The drip tray will be installed this week when it arrives (magnetic).

IMG_4647_zps0nm8o0rt.jpg

Finished interior with the beer lines in along with some of my bottled brew.

IMG_4650_zpsoqb0ekge.jpg

The air circulation fan

IMG_4648_zpso4dq9lll.jpg

So I glued the first magnet with superglue to the lid of the freezer... It set very quickly as you would expect... I glued the felt to the fan "grill". The felt had a magnet I glued into it which I would then glue to the stack of 3 other magnets. Worked out very well! If the fan should ever fail, the felt will just rip apart... Won't be too bad.

IMG_4649_zpskp4uqodl.jpg

You can see the speed control knob at the bottom. I have it at medium, currently.

IMG_4651_zpsgvdc7hon.jpg

Again, if any questions feel free to ask! :rockin:

Beautiful work. My only question is... when are you inviting me over to try it out? haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! It turned out better than I could have ever expected... Quite proud of myself! :D

I am actually trying to fill three kegs before I have my "tapping" party for friends and such... The cream ale I transfer today into the first keg... I am brewing a porter tomorrow to fill the second keg... Then right after that finishes in primary a single-hop azacca IPA will be brewed. Hoping by the end of January to have each tap flowing... The forth tap my girlfriend is buying a Destihl Wild Sour to have, her favorite... I am game for that, as I don't want to brew sours at this point... :rockin:

My drip tray also came in yesterday... I am just waiting on my (2) 4" long bar neodymium magnets (insane strength) to arrive to hold it to the fridge... I am thinking those bad boys will be able to hold the drip tray with a full glass or two on them without falling in my experience with them, so we shall see!

Thank you! It turned out better than I could have ever expected... Quite proud of myself! :D

I am actually trying to fill three kegs before I have my "tapping" party for friends and such... The cream ale I transfer today into the first keg... I am brewing a porter tomorrow to fill the second keg... Then right after that finishes in primary a single-hop azacca IPA will be brewed. Hoping by the end of January to have each tap flowing... The forth tap my girlfriend is buying a Destihl Wild Sour to have, her favorite... I am game for that, as I don't want to brew sours at this point... :rockin:

My drip tray also came in yesterday... I am just waiting on my (2) 4" long bar neodymium magnets (insane strength) to arrive to hold it to the fridge... I am thinking those bad boys will be able to hold the drip tray with a full glass or two on them without falling in my experience with them, so we shall see!

Nice! Keep the pics flowing! Are you apart of any clubs in Cleveland by any chance?

Back