Keggle insulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyDoctor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings - I use a converted sanke keg for my mash-tun. I BIAB so this is the only vessel I use for everything. I direct fire this keggle - and with my current configuration that involves one "permanent" wrap pf reflectix and 2 wraps put on after mash in - I lose several degrees over the course of an hour mash. 5-10 easily in 30-50 degree weather, closer to 5 in the warmer months (MN).

As others have noted, reflectix is not flame resistant - and the bottom half or so of my "permanent" reflectix wrap look melted/popped. I had been reading Bobby_m's thread on keggle insulation - and it got me thinking of wrapping the kegle with 3-4 layers of reflectix - then protecting it with aluminum flashing.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

if I'm filling the MLT most of the way up it only loses a degree or two

image.jpg

If you need a fireproof insulation, I would go for a fiberglass or asbestos insulation wrap.

Thanks JRems - that is another option - described in Bobby's thread - and not at all expensive. I can't fabricate the fancy riveted handles he has, but there must be another way to keep the aluminum together

Latest posts

Back