Keggle, electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if I took this apart, would it work at the bottom of a keggle.

Screenshot_2017-09-01-21-49-08.png

Do you mean immersed? (seems like bad juju) or as an electric burner under the keggle?

Either way, at 1100 watts I'm not sure it'd get a keggle full of wort to a boil in a reasonable amount of time...

Cheers!

Not designed for use as an immersion element, and not really enough heating capacity for any real application.

No, You need an element designed for immersion. Water heater elements are ideal. Plus more power as already pointed out.

Brew on :mug:

Would this work then? If I purchased 2 or would one suffice.

Educate yourself on electric brewing. There are plenty of good threads and primers on this forum for that.

With that being said, most of us are using 4500W or 5500W water heater elements in our kettles for 5 to 10 gallon batches. You would need at least 15 of those little coffee cup heaters to be in the same range.

It seems like you are trying to avoid having to invest time in understanding how to do this the right way in order to build a safe and effective heating system and/or spending the money on a prebuilt kit. You really have to pick one or the other: invest the time to save some money (noting that even this will be more expensive than you think) or invest the money so you don't have to build it yourself.

Electric heating elements of the size and power required for brewing requires relatively high powered elements and electrical equipment. Best case scenario, you have underpowered devices, and/or you break a lot of stuff. Worst case scenario: you can kill your self.

There is a lot of knowledge on the interwebs out there about electric brewing. Start with theelectricbrewery.com, then build from there.

Back