Keggle and a pick-up tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
I have a keggle that was given to me. I recently bought the pick-up tube that is in the link below.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Copper-Pick-up-Tube_p_4541.html

I just tested it out, and it seems useless unless I tip the keggle and even then it doesn't seem to be that effective. There is no hose on the the front spout of the keggle. Is there some physics I am missing, or did I just waste $5.99?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've read in a few threads on here that you typically have to have around 2 ft of hose on the end of the valve in order to gain the suction for the dip tube to work.

OK. Thanks. I'll pick some tubing up to see if that works.

Yes - I think having a hose on the end of your spout will get the flow of beer below your keggle, creating a siphon which should help.

As others have said, tubing is the right answer.

Anytime the outlet valve is higher then the intake (dip tube), you'll need tubing on the valve to create and maintain a siphon once the liquid level drops below the level of the outlet valve. And make sure the end of the tubing is lower than the bottom of the keggle/dip tube.

Water doesn't flow uphill. Not without a little help... ;)

Is there an inner diameter the tubing needs to be in order for this to work? I just tried 1/2" inner diameter tubing as a test and it didn't work.

Is there an inner diameter the tubing needs to be in order for this to work? I just tried 1/2" inner diameter tubing as a test and it didn't work.

I'm sure there is a point where if the inner diameter got so small, it would not support the flow of the siphon effect. But it would have to be pretty tiny. 1/2" is plenty big.

For the siphon effect to work, you need to satisfy a few conditions.

1. The starting water level in the BK needs to be above the level of the valve.
  2. The dip tube/valve assemble needs to have a good seal.
  3. The free end of the 1/2" tube needs to be below the level of the valve. The lower the better.

If any of these 3 conditions aren't meet, the siphon effect will not work. If you met conditions 1 & 3, you might want to check and tighten all the connections between the valve and the dip tube to make sure there are no leaks in order to maintain the siphon.

I don't know what I was doing wrong before, but I was able to get this to work. I brewed twice yesterday, and there was maybe 1/4 cup of liquid left in the bottom. I'll consider this a success.

Back