Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevhockey

Reaction score
I enjoy beer like most of us on here both drinking and making. My question is how long would beer last in a keg. I am thinking of going to 5 gallon kits and kegging instead of one gallon and bottling but i don't want the beer to go to bad from sitting around to long since i don't really drink that much.

As long as it's been well purged of air (by using CO2), it'll keep for much longer than even a slow drinker would need.

Last summer I brewed a 5-gallon batch of California Common. I pulled it off and let it sit for 6 months while I worked on some other kegs. I put it back in the kegerator this spring, and it still had maintained most of the carbonation, was clearer than ever, and had no noticeable change in flavors. I would make sure the CO2 stays pressurized in the keg, and try to avoid major temperature fluctuations, but otherwise you should be fine.

Kegs are great for long term storage, they are in stainless steel safe waiting for use. You can age stouts or barley wine in kegs. Very few down sides of kegging, the only one's I can think of is cost and all your eggs are in one basket.

Kegs are great for long term storage, they are in stainless steel safe waiting for use. You can age stouts or barley wine in kegs. Very few down sides of kegging, the only one's I can think of is cost and all your eggs are in one basket.

Agreed with cost. For additional cost you can have your cake and eat it too with a counterpressure/beer gun filler. :rockin:

Back