kegging wine to bulk age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norsemanjpa

Reaction score
So the solar installeds were coming and my wine was in the way of the main breaker panel. So I decided to put this years wines in cornelius keg for ease of transport andd storage in my wine/beer/mead cellar which is under construction. So I racked the wine into kegs, preasurized to 10 lbs woth co2 and put in cellar. When it gets cold I will put them in my Bilco door entrance to cold stabilize. I only did this with still wines, 2 champagne wines are still in carboy/demijon on yeast. ANY THOUGHTS?

current wines: Diamond, Catawba, Foch, Steuben, Concord, Niagara, Blushing Bride (rose blend), Fredonia.

You will get some CO2 dissolved into the wine, even if you keep it at a minimal pressure. The problem with corny kegs is they need positive pressure to seal, so you have to use some type of gas. I ended up getting an nitrogen tank for this reason.

After the construction and/or aging, you could always transfer back into a carboy and give it a little more time to degas. The nice thing about the corny is that you can take a sample and let your taste buds tell you if that step is necessary.

Yes, all good comments, I also only use sulfites for sanitizing EVER THINK so I have devised a filter using the kegs and a water filter, also thus the cold stabilization.

I do that all the time- and now even serve our every day wines out of the keg with picnic taps. I don't pressurize, besides sealing the keg, and only use enough c02 to dispense, and we just fill a decanter when we want a wine.

I keep the reds upstairs, where it is around 62 degrees most of the time, and the whites in the basement where it about 48. It works great for us!

I've kept a still cider under c02 a little c02 pressure for a few months now at room temp and haven't noticed any absorption. If I had nitrogen on hand sure I would have used it instead but no problems with c02 for me.

Reopening an old post - those of you who are bulking aging in kegs, are you using sealed kegs for the entire span of bulk again? Or are you starting with carboys for a few months to allow some off byproducts to escape the wine?

Latest posts

Back