Kegging while still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowriderdog37

Reaction score
OK, I have a family trip coming up and started a batch similar to skeeterpee (http://www.skeeterpee.com). The short version is basically sugar, lemon juice, and wine yeast.

I started this 6 weeks ago thinking it would be fine by now...but it has been REALLY slow at fermenting. I am still getting a bubble in my airlock about every 15 seconds, about the same as a month ago. OG was somewhere around 1.09 or 1.1, it is at 1.02-ish now and I am expecting it to get down to .099 or so.

On to the point...I am leaving in two days and don't have time to kill the yeast. I was going to kill it off and stick this stuff in old juice bottles. Now I am thinking about putting it in a corny keg and keeping drain the relief a couple times a day. Does anybody see anything terrible happening with that?

The relief valves on kegs are set at like 100psi anyway right? I can't imagine pressure getting that high but won't the yeast stop before that anyways? Making root beer says to put a bunch of sugar in, pitch yeast and bottle. Nothing terrible happens with that and the yeast doesn't ferment all the way through. Thoughts?

Hi

The best guess is that the pressure relief valve on the keg was 60 psi when new. The kegs are designed for 100 to 130 psi (depending on brand) when new. I would not trust a typical relief valve to hold at 40 psi or to vent at 80 psi unless I tested it. They likely have been through the same beating as the rest of the keg.

No idea what's going on with your brew - never tried that one myself.

Bob

Back