Kegging Troubleshoot Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdkopp0153

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been kegging my beer for the last 3 years, but recently moved from Colorado to New Hampshire. In the moving process, I sold my old fridge, upgraded to a "keezer" with temperature control, and replaced my lines.
Since I moved, I'm having difficulty getting my beers carbed to the way they were before and are lacking head. Beer seems to come out of the faucet much faster. Here's some more background data for anyone that has any ideas?

Beer line diameter and length is the same, 3/16" and 5 feet
Keezer temperature is the same 38 F

Elevation difference between Colorado and New Hampshire=5000ft

Regulator set at 12psi at both locations

Beer styles are generally the same.

Positing of keg in relation to the tap is roughly the same.

Outside temperature of the keg fridge (tap temp) is slightly lower in NH basement.

I'd suggest longer beer lines. A 5000' elevation change corresponds to about a 2.3 psi drop in atmospheric pressure. This means that the beer will flow slightly faster, and that the CO2 will come out of solution easier, both of which increase the chance of excessive foaming. Longer lines will create a slower and gentler pour, which should solve the problem. I'd suggest starting with at least 10-12', since it's much easier to trim a couple feet off if you find the pour is painfully slow than it is replace the lines again and again.

All of ^that^ - plus, if you don't already have one, a small fan running 24/7 to keep the air inside the keezer from stratifying leading to excessive break-out in your beer lines - which should be coiled atop the kegs...

Cheers!

The atmospheric pressure part would be true if he was moving to Colorado and not to New Hampshire. You would think that now you'd have slower pours.

Maybe your regulator reads differently at lower altitude, I have no experience in that department though. I agree with using longer line. I use 10' lines and my altitude is around 1000 ft.

Start with 12ft and trim if needed. Beer line isn't that expensive per foot and easy to trim.

I found that with my keezer set at 38*F and 12psi, the 12ft lines were just fine and did not require any shortening.

In my opinion, flowing too fast is only a problem if the beer is overly foamy. My problem is that the beer isn't carbonating and has zero head formation.

Back