Kegging Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenFitness

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going this weekend to pick up my first kegging system, and I have a couple of questions:

1. Do kegs need to be refrigerated to carbonate correctly?

2. Are all kegged beers force carbonated with CO2 or are there other methods? I think the answer is "Yes", but I'd like to understand the ins and outs regarding keg carbonation. I like the idea of having beer carbonated much faster than waiting for yeast in bottles to set up the beer.

3. Can a pressurized keg be a secondary fermentation tank or can you dry hop in a keg? Any suggestions on this to keep the keg as clean as possible?

4. Can beers age/condition in a pressurized keg over time, or is it better to leave them in a carboy for this?

Thanks!!

1. No, they will carbonate just fine at room temperature. You will however need to use a higher PSI. http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

2. Yes kegged beers are carbonated with CO2. Rather from a CO2 tank or using priming sugar in the keg. You can use a Nitrogen mix to 'push' the beer, but you will still need to carbonate with CO2.

3. Yes, you can use a keg as a secondary or 'bright tank'. You can dry hop in the keg. Some of us use weighted mesh sacks to hold the hops while others use stainless tea balls. In my experience you can expect some cloudiness from the hop material if you choose to dry hop this way.

4. Think of a keg as just a bigger bottle. So, beers will condition/age just fine in a sealed keg.

:tank:

Hi all,

I am going this weekend to pick up my first kegging system, and I have a couple of questions:

1. Do kegs need to be refrigerated to carbonate correctly?

2. Are all kegged beers force carbonated with CO2 or are there other methods? I think the answer is "Yes", but I'd like to understand the ins and outs regarding keg carbonation. I like the idea of having beer carbonated much faster than waiting for yeast in bottles to set up the beer.

3. Can a pressurized keg be a secondary fermentation tank or can you dry hop in a keg? Any suggestions on this to keep the keg as clean as possible?

4. Can beers age/condition in a pressurized keg over time, or is it better to leave them in a carboy for this?

Thanks!!

1. No,... But it helps.
2. No. You can carb just like bottling but use 1/3 less sugar/wort.
3. Yes but no.
4. Yes. Aging in a pressurized keg is no problem.

pb

Apparently my young guy slang has been lost on the masses... :cross:

totes means "totally" as in "You can totally dry hop in a keg."

My point remains the same.

1. No,... But it helps.

I would suggest it doesnt' make a difference. I carb all my beers warm. Have a CO2 'station' in the basement. I carb 5-6 kegs at the same time. This way I always have a carbed beer ready to put into the kegger. Doesn't use anymore gas, just a higher pressure. Plus, my kegger can hold 5 kegs, but I only have 4 taps. Nothing better than a chilled carbed keg, when it's brother or sister blows! :tank:

2011-12-30_17-25-51_932.jpg

I would suggest it doesnt' make a difference. I carb all my beers warm. Have a CO2 'station' in the basement. I carb 5-6 kegs at the same time. This way I always have a carbed beer ready to put into the kegger. Doesn't use anymore gas, just a higher pressure. Plus, my kegger can hold 5 kegs, but I only have 4 taps. Nothing better than a chilled carbed keg, when it's brother or sister blows! :tank:

I go both ways.

pb --- never had a problem

Hello Hammy, How many kegs can you carb up at room temp on 1 #20 bottle of co2 ?

Also what temp are you carbing up those kegs in your basement at?

I have read and when I asked here about room temp carbing, was told that carbing up a keg at room temp=70deg F compared to cold will use up quite a bit more co2 per keg.

Is this one of those wife's tale's ?

Cheers :mug:

I have read and when I asked here about room temp carbing, was told that carbing up a keg at room temp=70deg F compared to cold will use up quite a bit more co2 per keg.

I haven't tried it yet, but as soon as I pick up a second bottle of CO2 I am going to. I can't imagine that carbonating beer at a higher temperature would use more gas. If beer takes X amount of CO2 to carbonate, it doesn't matter what the temperature is. You will have to use a higher PSI, as Hammy said, because CO2 dissolves better into cold beer than it does warm, but you're still putting the same X amount of CO2 into solution.

I dry hopped in a keg once with pellets without putting it in any kind of mesh. I would strongly advise against doing this unless you want to transfer from one keg to another due to hop stuckage :fro:

I haven't tried it yet, but as soon as I pick up a second bottle of CO2 I am going to. I can't imagine that carbonating beer at a higher temperature would use more gas. If beer takes X amount of CO2 to carbonate, it doesn't matter what the temperature is. You will have to use a higher PSI, as Hammy said, because CO2 dissolves better into cold beer than it does warm, but you're still putting the same X amount of CO2 into solution.

Hi LovesIPA, thats what I thought too, but was told deferent when I asked.

Maybe Hammy71 can elaborate more on the subject since he has already been using this method.

Id love to know as I have a second co2 tank.

Hello Hammy, How many kegs can you carb up at room temp on 1 #20 bottle of co2 ?

Also what temp are you carbing up those kegs in your basement at?

I've been using the same 20# tank for going on 2 years. Probably, 75 (5)gallon kegs by now. It doesnt' use any more gas. It just uses a higher pressure. I have it set at 28 psi, and I can do 5 kegs at a time. My basement averages around 60F. :mug:

I've been using the same 20# tank for going on 2 years. Probably, 75 (5)gallon kegs by now. It doesnt' use any more gas. It just uses a higher pressure. I have it set at 28 psi, and I can do 5 kegs at a time. My basement averages around 60F. :mug:

Thanks Hammy71, Looks like i need to order a 2nd regulator, manifold, hoses and ball lock connectors.

This is some Great information, I can't wait to carb up my brews while they are aging/conditioning, no more waiting 10 to 14 days for my beers to carb up after getting into the kegerator Whooo Hoooo!

Thanks Hammy71, Looks like i need to order a 2nd regulator, manifold, hoses and ball lock connectors.

This is some Great information, I can't wait to carb up my brews while they are aging/conditioning, no more waiting 10 to 14 days for my beers to carb up after getting into the kegerator Whooo Hoooo!

Best part for me: One of the SWMBO's hobbies is going to yard sales. The tank, manifold, hoses, and reg probably set me back 25 bucks. :ban: I just had to have the tank hydrotested and filled. Maybe another 35 dollars. Not too shabby.

Best part for me: One of the SWMBO's hobbies is going to yard sales. The tank, manifold, hoses, and reg probably set me back 25 bucks. :ban: I just had to have the tank hydrotested and filled. Maybe another 35 dollars. Not too shabby.

Wow, very nice, best deal I have is my welding supply store will let me exchange a steel tank for a aluminum one for free, I thought that was pretty cool.

Cheers and Thank You ! :mug:

Latest posts

Back