Kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I have a beer thats ready to keg but no room in the keezer can I just throw it in the keg like normal, hit it with 12psi and let it chill till I can put it in the keezer?

just make sure the keg stays pressurized. Esp. if the beer isn't carbonated yet, it can absorb the CO2 you put in there and depressurize the keg.

I just moved a lager into a keg for lagering and had to partially carb it first, because otherwise it would just suck up whatever CO2 I could throw on top as it chilled.

I naturally carbonate in my kegs. Just note that because a keg has FAR less deadspace than the aggregate of 48-54 bottles, you use much less priming sugar than you would if bottling. I always take the bottle priming sugar recommendation and use about 1/3 of that amount in the keg.

I naturally carbonate in my kegs. Just note that because a keg has FAR less deadspace than the aggregate of 48-54 bottles, you use much less priming sugar than you would if bottling. I always take the bottle priming sugar recommendation and use about 1/3 of that amount in the keg.

Excellent! How long do you carb them for?

make sure you know your kegs! some kegs dont like to seal without being put under a certain amount of pressure (i've got some that want 5 psi, some that want 30) and natural carbonation wont seal your keg- you'll simply bleed off any generated CO2. Also keep in mind that you wont be able to bleed of the air that starts in the headspace.

I would reccomend taking one of your kegs off tap long enough to get your fresh keg force carbed- then you can take it off and store it as long as you want, no problem. Just take your least used tap off for about a week, week and a half-- it shouldnt be missed too terribly much.

Even when I naturally carbonate, I'll still hit the keg with some 30psi CO2 to seal, then bleed just a bit to purge the oxygen, THEN store the keg for carb/conditioning (I throw them in an interior closet to make sure the temp is regular.

I just purge a few times, and hit mine with 20psi. Store until room opens up in the keggerator. If they sit for a while, I'll gently and quickly nudge the relief valve once in a while to make sure they are still under pressure.

Back