Kegging kit or DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the kit is well worth the money. Especially since it saves you time and shipping cost associated with trying to get a better deal through multiple manufacturers/retailers online. The perlicks are a nice upgrade but I've never been able to convince myself they're worth the money. If it were up to me, I'd go with that kit.

Mine evolved into what it is over the years. But it's still in your price range.

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

I think the kit is well worth the money. Especially since it saves you time and shipping cost associated with trying to get a better deal through multiple manufacturers/retailers online. The perlicks are a nice upgrade but I've never been able to convince myself they're worth the money. If it were up to me, I'd go with that kit.

Mine evolved into what it is over the years. But it's still in your price range.

Sounds good. Maybe ill hold off on the perlicks and grab an extra keg for now. That's a nice set up you got there, thanks for the info.

Sounds good. Maybe ill hold off on the perlicks and grab an extra keg for now. That's a nice set up you got there, thanks for the info.
Just an FYI, I purchased almost the same keg kit from LearnToBrew, and there were a few issues.

1) It said the kegs were reconditioned, and the o-rings DID appear to be new and the kegs appeared to be washed, but there was still a strong pepsi smell. This was the first keg I've owned so maybe this IS normal, but I figured that reconditioned kegs would no longer have this smell. Perhaps I'm wrong on this one though!

2) The kit says there are an "additional set of o-rings for each keg", but they were not included in my shipment. I emailed them about this and they mailed me the additional sets free of charge, which I have received.

3) There is a small leak in one of the pressure valves. I emailed them on Wednesday asking them to send me a new one, and they have not responded to my email yet.

I can't give a thumbs up or down on this vendor yet, as I'm still waiting for their response to my valve issue. But just figured I'd let you know my experience so far with them!

- Houdini

Just an FYI, I purchased almost the same keg kit from LearnToBrew, and there were a few issues.

1) It said the kegs were reconditioned, and the o-rings DID appear to be new and the kegs appeared to be washed, but there was still a strong pepsi smell. This was the first keg I've owned so maybe this IS normal, but I figured that reconditioned kegs would no longer have this smell. Perhaps I'm wrong on this one though!

2) The kit says there are an "additional set of o-rings for each keg", but they were not included in my shipment. I emailed them about this and they mailed me the additional sets free of charge, which I have received.

3) There is a small leak in one of the pressure valves. I emailed them on Wednesday asking them to send me a new one, and they have not responded to my email yet.

I can't give a thumbs up or down on this vendor yet, as I'm still waiting for their response to my valve issue. But just figured I'd let you know my experience so far with them!

- Houdini

Awesome thank you for your input. I literately live about 1 mile from them so hopefully I'll be able to check everything before I leave the store. Did you upgrade to the perlick faucets? If not have you had any issues with the ones that it comes with?

Awesome thank you for your input. I literately live about 1 mile from them so hopefully I'll be able to check everything before I leave the store. Did you upgrade to the perlick faucets? If not have you had any issues with the ones that it comes with?
Actually I did upgrade to the Perlick. I figured if I was spending as much as I was I was I might as well go with faucets that I won't have to replace after so long.

Wish I could tell you if it was worth the upgrade, but having never had the chrome plated ones I really couldn't say. :D

- Houdini

The major difference between the perlick and standard faucet is in the perlick all the moving parts are behind the flow of liquid instead of being in front of it. As far as pouring goes, I never noticed a difference.

I recently purchased a similar kit from that website. My kit was missing the drip tray so I emailed them and they sent it right away. All in all, everything is hooked up and works so I'm happy.

The cheap faucets are fine if your steady pulling pints. If you take a vacation or get tired of drinking from a certain keg, they get stuck like glue.

The perlicks are a nice upgrade but I've never been able to convince myself they're worth the money.

How often do you draw beer from your taps? I feel like the major consensus on HBT is that if you aren't drawing beer everyday or so the non-perlicks will stick quick! I still have picnic taps so I can't comment, but I have been saving up for perlicks

Also the "Strong pepsi smell" could be from the cleaner that was used when they reconditioned them. I know one of the big keg cleaners has that odor to it. I still washed mine out with PBW and it smelled like nothing!

- Houdini

Update from LearnToBrew. They suggested to try some lube on the pressure valve, which I don't have (didn't think to buy it at the time and LHBS doesn't carry any), and they replied that if I buy some lube from them they'll throw in another pressure valve for free.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with their service. A few issues but they resolved them all to my satisfaction.

- Houdini

Back