Kegging Frustration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG58

Reaction score
I started kegging this summer. I just hooked the keg up to gas this afternoon. I painted everything I could think of with water and dish soap. I used keg lube. The seals are new. I ran out of 5 lb gas before emptying keg last time. I just checked and keg pressure is just a smidgen above red line. I'm about to go back to bottling and putting the whole danged setup on Craigslist. Crap.

Do you check where the regulator meets the keg and the line the regulator? Remember, if you're metal on metal, you need a little fish eye washer in there.

Besides the bubble test, another thing you can always do is turn off the tank when you aren't serving to save on gas. This could also help pinpoint where your leak is. I had one when I first started kegging and then none for 15 years but just had a tank killer. Hang in there and good luck.

Did you assemble the unit? Use teflon plumbing tape on all the threads?

My regulator went to the redline when I charged my first keg. The tank and regulator are in the refrigerator. I am now on keg 5 and the needle is in the middle of the red zone. I have been told 5-6 kegs on a 5 pound tank is average.

Check all your fittings and seals and keep at it.

Definitely keep up with it. I have found air leaks on equipment at work in the weirdest places. One day I found pin hole leaks (yes multiple) in a brand new hose.

Also the psi will drop dramatically in the fridge vs. room temp. Weigh the tank to determine how much CO2 is actually left.

Teflon tape should never be used on gas fittings.
Start by checking all your gas side connections. I have some hose clamps on the gas hoses (which are only there for insurance when force carbing since the hose already fits snugly on the barb.) and a plastic crush washer for the tank to reg fitting. The cardboard crush washers are one time use but the plastic ones can go for a couple uses if they seat correctly.
Also the high pressure gauge is basically useless. It has two settings, either there is co2 left or it is empty.

glick said:
Also the psi will drop dramatically in the fridge vs. room temp. Weigh the tank to determine how much CO2 is actually left.

This^^^. Don't trust the gauge. On my first tank I had it cold, and it just sat right above the redline the whole time. Now it's out of the kegerator, and it reads 1300.

The teflon tape isn't for gas fittings, they require their own seals/gaskets. Tape is for liquid applications and not for a sealant. It is to ease the coarse threads in mating together thus making the pipes seal.

The correct rule is "do not use tape on FLARE fittings".

There's a crap ton of "gas fittings" that tape is appropriate, but never on FLARE fittings...

Cheers!

To clarify - no teflon tape on flared connections.

The manual for my Taprite T752HP (which does not have flared connections) says "Open outlet parts must have outlet fittings installed with either teflon tape or a thread sealant that is compatible with CO2 or Nitrogen gas."

Back