Kegging Carbonation Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently brewed a Red Beaver Drake's Landing Pale Ale and transferred it to my keg after fermentation. I set the psi at 10 and .5 Celsius and let it sit for 10 days. I just tried a glass and while the beer has some carbonation, it is no where near complete. Is it normal for the process to take this long? Should I up my pressure and let it sit a few more days? Thanks for any help.

:confused:

10 days seems to be sufficient for carbonation, not sure why it didn't get more. I would up the pressure only after checking all the seals (assuming you are kegging in soda kegs) and give it a shake or two every 4-6 hours. Hope it works out for you, it sounds delicious.

Looper,
As a fairly new kegger, I am always looking for tips. I have been told that shaking lightly helps the co2 permeate the beer. Is this not true?

It does help co2 get into solution but it is super easy to over carb by shaking. Yooper (and a lot of other folks around here) use the set it and forget it method I believe.

Looper,
As a fairly new kegger, I am always looking for tips. I have been told that shaking lightly helps the co2 permeate the beer. Is this not true?

Sure, it would help. But, then the sediment in the keg would resuspend and just like a soda, it would foam. I would rather not drink a foamy, sediment-filled beer, so I let mine sit and clear while it carbs.

What's your temp? Sometimes mine take 2 weeks.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Back