Kegging and carbing a Nitro beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonheather2010

Reaction score
I brewed an oatmeal stout a couple weeks ago that I intend to serve on nitro for the first time. I did as much research as I could on the process and this is basically what I came away with:

1. Brew and ferment beer
2. Transfer to keg and carb with pure CO2 to ~1.2 vols
3. Then switch to beer gas tank, crank PSI to 30 and wait ~1 week
4. Serve at ~43 degrees

My lingering questions...

1. Is this the general method you guys follow if/when you serve a beer on nitrogen?

2. According to BYO's priming chart, my beer already had ~0.85 vols of residual CO2 from fermentation. To bring it up to 1.2 vols at 43 degrees my PSI would have to be <1, which I obviously can't reliably achieve. Even at 50 degrees the PSI would barely be over 1, which I also can't reliably set the regulator too as there just aren't enough intervals between 0-10 (I'm using the higher-end Micromatic regulator). I ended up storing the keg at 60 degrees and setting the PSI to 4.

Is this a problem for any of you guys? If so, how do you handle this? And how long do you usually wait before you switch your keg over to beer gas?

Thanks!!!

No help from anyone? I am waiting for this answer also. I have a vanilla Oatmeal stout waiting to go into the keg also. Just about to buy the Nitro equipment.

Didn't see this thread 'til now.
Carbonation tables assume enough time passes to reach equilibrium, but you don't have to keep the beer on CO2 that long.

I keg, put the stout in my cold-carbonation fridge at 36°F and hook it up to gas (common rail) at 11 psi for 48 hours.
Then I disconnect it and leave it until its predecessor kicks, which might be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months (I keep my chocolate imperial stout on tap year 'round).
Then it goes in the keezer at the same temperature on 35 psi beer gas and is immediately ready to dispense...

Cheers!

Back