Kegging advice temperature issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retrofit

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I put two beers in kegs. A rye pale ale and a Belgian Saison.

Next week I'm camping with my family and the plan is to take the two kegs, fill a cooler with ice water, drink the beer. We'll be in Northern Wisconsin, it'll be in the 50's and with the ice water I don't think anyone will complain.

Here's my issue:

I don't have a way to get these kegs cold between now and the end of the week.

I'm new to kegging and I've read the best way to get co2 into the beer is to get it as cold as possible.

I'm looking for ideas on how to carb this beer over a week without a kegerator.

One idea is I leave it outside, the nights will be the mid 40's. Another idea is fill a cooler with ice water- just like camping and try to get it cold. Or I just let it carb at room temperature. The temp being high 60's.

I'm looking for advice on the best way to carb this beer (without a kegerator) and advice on what PSI I should set for each beer.

Any and all tips are appreciated. My family is counting on the beer being good! :)

I think the cooler with ice water will be your best bet. Carbing warm never worked well for me, nor a lot of other people. I would use a carbonation calculator to find the pressure for how many volumes of CO2 you want and what temp the kegs are at. I would set your regulator at that pressure and shake for a few minutes each day. That way you won't risk over carbing your beer.

Back