Kegging a heff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
I'm about to keg my first heffeweitzen. How do I keep from getting a big slug of yeast each time I pull a pint?

that should only happen with the first pint you pour or if you move the keg and stir up everything. IME, everything clears after a week or so in a kegerator

Being a wheat, wouldn't you actually want that yeast in the glass? My problem when kegging wheats is the exact opposite - the yeast falls out and the beer clears too much! Wheats are supposed to have a yeast haze!

Yes, but I want the appropriate amount. Imagine the keg is a big bottle of heff, and you have a nice sludge of yeast proportional to the "bottle." Now watch that whole amount get pulled into the pint glass eqch time some more yeast settles. I'm wondering if I should swirl the keg every now and then.

I started adding like 1/4cup of all purpose flour to the boil in my wheats. It stays hazy the entire time its in the kegeratior

Yes, but I want the appropriate amount. Imagine the keg is a big bottle of heff, and you have a nice sludge of yeast proportional to the "bottle." Now watch that whole amount get pulled into the pint glass eqch time some more yeast settles. I'm wondering if I should swirl the keg every now and then.

It doesn't work that way. Once the area around the dip tube clears out (after a few pours) just the beer comes out. If anything does settle back in that spot it's not much. It's not like the dip tube is buried in yeast. If it does eventually drop clear then shake it up if you want.

Latest posts

Back