Kegged vs bottled commercial beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
Why does kegged beer taste so different than bottle versions of the same exact beer? I'm wondering if it has to do with the pasteurization process. My understanding is that most bottles that aren't naturally carbonated are pasteurized, while kegs are not. Anyone know if that general rule is true? If this is the reason for what I've observed, than I have to say that I'm convinced that pasteurization ruins the beer. Just one example: DFH-- their beers on tap- awesome. Out of a bottle? Eh. Their bottles taste dull and sweet compared to draft. But this is just one example.

So, what gives?

Just a wild guess but I'm going to say the difference (I've noticed many times) is because the kegs are kept cold from the time of filling to the time of serving, while bottles and cans sometimes are kept cold, sometimes not, and this has an effect on the taste.

Just a wild guess but I'm going to say the difference (I've noticed many times) is because the kegs are kept cold from the time of filling to the time of serving, while bottles and cans sometimes are kept cold, sometimes not, and this has an effect on the taste.

I imagine this is the main effect. Although they both have to go through some amount of distrubution and storage to get to your glass, the kegs usually are straight from the brewery in a cold truck to a bar's keg room to your glass. Bottles you buy at the liquor store especially have a lot more time to be poorly handled whether it be from light, temperature changes, etc. Bottles are just a less ideal storage method IMO.

Have you ever tried one beer both in bottles and cans? I generally notice a similar issue. All other things equal the cans generally seem just a bit fresher to me.

Most breweries bottle and can on seperate lines, but by no means does this mean that the Kegs are always under refrigeration or vice versus. Depends on the brewery. The best explainable reason I can attest to it is due to light and temperature variations.

Light does not impact kegged beer for obvious reasons.
Temperature swings will more greatly impact a bottle over a keg due to the thermal mass of a keg vs a bottle.

Great example of this is I had Pilsener Urquell on tap Saturday. Worlds above and completely different then their bottled versions.

Now I imagine it would be even better on tap in the Czech Republic or in most of Europe, just because its fresher and has traveled a shorter distance and not exposed to a large swing in temperatures.

Why do you assume breweries pasteurize their beers before packaging?

Why do you assume breweries pasteurize their beers before packaging?

Most do so for stability to kill off any bacteria or wild yeast in there. And, to be honest, I feel like I can taste it when a brewery does. The beer just tastes "cooked." And, by that, I mean, a bit dull and sweet compared to fresh draft. But I used to think people were imagining things when they talked about these differences, but honestly I know find the difference quite stark. I am 100% positive that I'd pass a blind taste test of the same beer between bottle and draft.

First and foremost, most bottles are pasteurized while most kegs are not; the bottles are pasteurized because they may not be kept cold the entire time while most kegs are kept cold the entire time and thus don't undergo pasteurization. Additionally, usually kegs get used up a bit faster, bottles often sit longer while stores clear out their stock (particularly true of seasonal beers, often stores won't buy new seasonal beers until the old ones are gone). Kegs also have fewer issues with oxidization and getting skunked by light than bottles (cans also have similar advantages compared to bottles). That said, a lot of this depends on where and how you are getting your draft or bottle. Getting either one directly from the brewery is probably going to get you fresher, better beer; dive bars probably don't clean their lines very often so usually a dive bar will have nasty draft beers.

Where are you guys getting your info from?

I know breweries will filter to get rid of any yeast or bacteria in the beer for stabilization... i dont think pasteurization is the norm.

Where are you guys getting your info from?

I know breweries will filter to get rid of any yeast or bacteria in the beer for stabilization... i dont think pasteurization is the norm.

An example list of unpasteurized beers, note that some on this list pasteurize bottles/cans still but not kegs or pasteurize beer heading for the coast opposite to where they are.
http://jarticle.hubpages.com/hub/Unpasteurized_Beers

With the exception of "bottle conditioned" beers, most beers are pasteurized if they are in a bottle or can; it helps ensure consistent beer flavor. Some craft breweries do it, some don't. It's only one of many factors present in the difference between draft and bottled beers, but it can be a major one.

Latest posts

Back