Kegged Lager Exposed to Ale Temps. Prior to Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT_Keg

Reaction score
I plan on brewing an ale in a few weeks and only have one fermentation/lagering chamber. My kegged lagers (currently fermenting) will be exposed to ale fermentation temperatures for a few weeks before getting knocked down to lagering temperatures. Will this cause any problems to the kegged lager?

I don't expect it to be a problem but figured I would ask.

Thanks for your incite.

MT

Just to clarify, you fermented the lager at lager temps, then transferred to a keg, and the keg is going to sit at Ale temps for a few weeks before bumping down to lager temp? If this is accurate, i can’t see why there would be a problem, as you’re essentially performing an extended diacetyl rest. It might even naturally carbonate, although if it were me I would at least fill the headspace with co2 after I transferred it to the keg.

Interested to hear others thoughts on this.

I don't see an issue at all if your lager fermentation phase is at the correct temp. If it will be stored in a keg at ale temps for a few weeks, that's a perfect opportunity to add a 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of sugar to a 5 gallon batch when you keg it. It will naturally carb that way and be ready to chill, lager and serve. I quite like the way my kegs turn out when I have a few weeks to naturally carb them.

Just to clarify, you fermented the lager at lager temps, then transferred to a keg, and the keg is going to sit at Ale temps for a few weeks before bumping down to lager temp?

This is accurate! I didn't think this would be a problem just curious. Natural Carbonation sounds like an awesome idea... I never have done that with a keg... any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the input.

Natural Carbonation sounds like an awesome idea... I never have done that with a keg... any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

See lablovers post above. I’ve never done it so I’ll assume it’s accurate.

Back