Kegged beer went flat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skarz

Reaction score
So I installed a 4 way distributor in my keezer and ~24 hours later my keg of red ale, previously carbed to 12psi, has gone partially flat. 2 days ago I had a nice thick head, lacing, and I was burping after drinking some. Now the same beer had almost no head, and tastes flat. Is it possible my carbed keg lost pressure due to equalizing with the nee uncarbed keg...? I’m at a loss here.

Do you have a check valve preventing pressure equalization between tanks?
No. I didn't even know that was a thing. So my equalization theory holds water.... maybe?

If the new keg is full, there isn't much more than a quart of headspace in it. It's not only unlikely your other keg could lose significant CO2, there's still your regulator driving the manifold, yes?

Cheers!

If the new keg is full, there isn't much more than a quart of headspace in it. It's not only unlikely your other keg could lose significant CO2, there's still your regulator driving the manifold, yes?

Cheers!

This makes sense that the CO2 from the already pressurised keg would get absorbed into the second keg. I have inline check valves on all of my gas QDs, so guess I've never experienced this. Lucky for me I made a bonehead move when I first started kegging an promised to never get liquid in my gas line again, so I bought me these things on every gas QD.

https://www.kegconnection.com/inline-checkvalve/

Even if the OP forgot to turn his CO2 regulator on, there's no way one keg of carbonated beer is going to be significantly altered in 48 hours by attaching another full keg to a free-flowing manifold. Not only would the new keg not provide that empty much volume for the CO2 to move to, the carb'd beer just can't change that fast, just like the fresh keg can't carb that fast...

Cheers!

This is the air distributor I have... It says inline check valves but does that just stop beer or air as well?

Oo9aoUW.jpg

Yes. Both - if they work right. There's a spring loaded ball inside the valve assembly that is shoved against a stop, so in theory it only lets flow in the desired direction...

Cheers!

Back