Kegged beer seems flat and lost some flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
So I kegged a beer and had a buddy iver on Thursday it was carbed up great tasted great..

So today ( sunday )

I pull off a beer and it seems like it has no head and lower carb and flavor loss

Now I dont think there are any leaks as i still have c02 in my tank and after 3-4 days of a slow leak you think my co2 tank would be empty

Oh and i also pulled a beer or 2 off Friday I think so its really only been a day or 2

Maybe I'm usung the wrong glass

Did you dump the first 4-6 ounces? What stays in the line for several days can be kinda gross. I always pour off the first half glass if it's been more than a day since last I last used the keg.

Conventional solid PVC beer line (eg: the ubiquitous Bevlex 200) is prone to staling beer because of O2 permeability. Switch to a barrier tubing (EVAbarrier tubing is the current rage) and you might not have to dump beer anymore :)

fwiw, 10 feet of 3/16" ID beer line holds 1.84 ounces of beers. Throw in the faucet and shank and it's probably an even two ounces...

Cheers!

I'd be dumping a lot of beer if I had to dump half a glass every time tap wasn't opened for over 24 hours.
I started with cheap tubing, and I'd get a bad/plasticy taste if it sat for even 24 hours. Switched to the high dollar/non-permeable wonder tubing, and sure enough, 98% better. If you haven't done that, another vote here to do so.

Also it may be so obvious that no one has mentioned it, but what is your pressure and temp in the keg during your normal periods of storage?

Doesn't matter what anyone switched to if it isn't EVAbarrier tubing :)

Forget anything from EJ Beverage (it's junk) and EVAbarrier is much easier to work with than Bev Seal Ultra 235 - the previous barrier tubing champ. EVAbarrier can handle a 2" bend radius. With Ultra 235 that ain't happening. And the 4mm ID EVAbarrier means you can use ~6' runs instead of 18' with the 1/5" ID 235 (sold as "3/16" ID).

I switched all of my tubing to EVAbarrier - beer and gas. Use Push-To-Connect fittings from John Guest/Duotight/DMfit for 8mm OD tubing and installation is a piece of cake...

Cheers!

What are your regulator settings, beer temp, and volume of beer? It's possible that your beer was carbed, but other factors may have lead to co2 being released.

Yeah, there was a brief period when the EJ Beverage "Silver Barrier" tubing had some market leverage.
Then folks started complaining about staled beer in their EJ. Turns out their proprietary material is only incrementally better than solid PVC.
Those that have since noted their switch to EVAbarrier tubing were much happier...

Cheers!

I
Yeah, there was a brief period when the EJ Beverage "Silver Barrier" tubing had some market leverage.
Then folks started complaining about staled beer in their EJ. Turns out their proprietary material is only incrementally better than solid PVC.
Those that have since noted their switch to EVAbarrier tubing were much happier...

Cheers!
yeah i ended up ordering evabarrier. I never knew there was tubing that prevented the beer within the line from spoiling. It’s all nice that it’s 4 mm, so will be able to shorten the lines a bit.

Cheers!
Yup, this confirms my experience with an EJ Beverage "barrier" product, and the newer EVAbarrier product. I wonder if tap rooms don't need this tech because the beer doesn't sit in the lines too long.

Back