Kegerator Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin1169

Reaction score
Hello, just bought my first kegerator and soon I would like to try brewing my own beer but that's a little ways away. I bought a new outdoor shed and converted it into any outdoor bar. I have beer and alcohol in it so it's locked when we are not home. Today it's in the upper 90's and even with it being vented it's over 100 degrees in there when closed. I'm wondering how my kegerator will hold up in there with the heat?? If anyone has a similarl setup I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thank you in advanced. Kevin NJ

Hmm... I'd think it'll do OK in the short term, however, long-term it would probably wear out the compressor faster, trying to keep it cool. I'd suggest maybe putting in a small window a/c unit to try and keep the temps reasonably cool...maybe upper 70's at most. That's just my thought.

It's working more, but not as hard as people think. if you are not opening it, the difference between 80 and 90 and 100 degrees is very minimal. like maybe 30 extra seconds of compressor time an hour, etc, if properly insulated.

I would insulate the tower from the fridge. since that is your weak spot. blown in insulation works, pillow stuffing, etc, but don't pack it tightly. leave it consistant and loose, not compressed. Then just put a piece of packing tape around the tubes in the fridge (from the tap). it helps more than you can imagine.

Check your seals, and all other entries to the fridge. (check to make sure that if you run your gas line from the outside in, the silicone seal is good, no gaps, inside AND out. etc. the trick is to keep it as sealed up as possible.

Insulation only slows thermal conduction, it doesn't prevent it.
Hence you actually do not want to pack a faucet tower full of insulation - of any kind - unless you have a glycol chiller employed.
Instead, line the column with insulation (1/4" neoprene sheet works great for this, but closed cell foam sheet works, too).

Then you can either run the beer lines up the column through 1/2" copper tubing sections that extend from the tail pieces down well into the kegerator cabinet, or (my preference) install an active tower cooler.

I use one based on a 40mm 12vdc fan and 1" ID plastic tubing stuffed up the column, leaving enough space for return air (3" OD SS column).
The faucets, shanks and lines within the column are always within 10°F of the keezer air temperature...

Cheers!

I have a 7cuft and a 8cuft keezer running in my garage. It's currently 103°f in there right now. They don't have problems holding 37°f. They run a little more in the summer but not too much more.

Just to let you know we have a spare refrigerator/freezer in the garage we keep going year round with extra food, hops, etc. in there. It works fine and it gets 98 degrees in there during the summer. I also have a separate designated upright freezer that I house my conical to ferment my beer in, and it works great. They are both insulated very well and once my temp probe hits the temp I need inside the conical, it stays at that temp for quite a long time before having to turn on the compressor again. I was very surprised and happy when I discovered how efficient it really was at maintaining the temp, for how hot inside the garage it was. I do however, keep my two tap kegerator in my kitchen. Good luck with your setup!

John

No worries at all. There are a million garage freezers running out there.

Thanks for all the info, for now it's in my kitchen and I kinda like it there. I'm kinda on the fence about leaving it in the bar. Maybe because I spent a lot of money on it. I'm sure it will end up in there. I had an old homemade kegerator in there and it died a couple weeks ago, but it was old. Maybe I'm a little gun shy right now. Thinking a little more venting and see what happens. Thank you again

I have a freezer in my garage in Texas. It is 90F in there all the time. No problems. My kegerator is on my back covered patio, not in direct sun. It works fine there too. The tap tower gets a little warm but cools after a few ounces.

Back