Kegerator Temp Probe Positioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemsonDV

Reaction score
I currently use a STC1000 temperature controller with the temperature lead in a plastic water bottle. Lately my kegerator has been cycling about every 3 or 4 hours. I have a low power fan at the top of the keezer for some air circulation. Everytime I open up the lid to check on condensation (mine tends to pool water in the bottom fairly easy since its newer and freezes really fast) or check the air lines, the temp goes up at least by .2-.3C. No matter if its for a few secs.

I am wondering if my temperature probe should be repositioned or housed in another container. Its hot here and the keezer is in my garage, so about 90 deg most of the summer. I used a IR thermometer to check for leaks along the collar and lid, but nothing. Do I need to put more foam along my cooler? I can add pics if necessary.

Any advice appreciated.

You can put it in a water bottle, of course not submerged completely. I personally put it near the bottom and set it with a 5 degree differential. No bottle used.

If it's a keezer made from a chest freezer, what about mounting a switch on the lid to stop the fan when you open the lid? That should reduce the airflow when you are checking on things.

Putting the probe in a larger thermal mass will help also, as it will steady out the temperature fluctuation at the probe.

What type of thermal mass would you suggest?

Larger water bottle.

I use an old soda bottle. Anything over a 1 liter bottle might be overkill. I worry more about the humidity increase when I open the keezer lid than I do about temperature change if the fan keeps running.

I can understand a .2-.3 deg. C. rise in air temperature, but if the probe is in water then that rise seems out of line unless you are keeping the lid open for more than 5-10 minutes.

Back