Kegerator Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmech

Reaction score
Why use a freezer over a refrigerator?

It would seem if all you are doing is serving beer, you are already in the serving range with a fridge. Aside from the obvious things like turning it into a bar, or availability, it doesn't make sense to me to use a freezer. The lifespan will be shorter on a freezer than a fridge since you are using it outside of it's cooling capacity.

Possibly fit more kegs, cheaper, and I don't think it would shorten the life as it would cycle less frequently. For me it was the fact I could fit more kegs for less money.

Not probably the whole answer to the question but, here in the UK certainly, a "chest" style fridge with a swinging top lid is rare, it is mainly freezers that come in this configuration.

Possibly fit more kegs, cheaper, and I don't think it would shorten the life as it would cycle less frequently. For me it was the fact I could fit more kegs for less money.

You can fit 8+ kegs in a fridge if you build a mount. Some freezerless ones can fit 10+. I got a used side by side for free that fit 8 kegs.

You can find a used fridge for cheap on craigslist.

Not probably the whole answer to the question but, here in the UK certainly, a "chest" style fridge with a swinging top lid is rare, it is mainly freezers that come in this configuration.

If you must have a chest style, then that's fine. Otherwise it seems like more effort and money since you have to have a temp controller.

It's been bugging me so I am coming back for more torture.

Chest freezers are typically cheaper if buying new. They consume less energy. If making a "keezer" you can restore to "stock" if you remove the collar; you could be doing it if you get a fridge or different freezer for whatever reason. "Coffins" make an easy bar and easy serving area as you don't have to deal with a small drip tray, they also look super badass if done up. Chest freezers, around me, are cheaper used than refrigerators. I think "used" is hard to compare apples to apples as you can find some good steals on Craigslist of either when the timing is right.

A refrigerator definitely has perks though. More vertical and less horizon space for equal number of kegs (see arguments above). A dedicated homebrew freezer for hops and yeast storage is dead sexy.

I think it is a major "depends". I would love to have a dedicated freezer and not have to lift cornies over the lip, but I love to be able to easily wheel the keezer onto the patio for parties.

A recent post on hbt from a member, who at least sounded like they were in the refrigeration field, indicated that freezers are not designed to efficiently run at refrigerator temperatures and can suffer premature failure. I'm only paraphrasing what I recall from the post. Something about refrigerant pressures/temperatures and compressor cooling not operating as designed.

Makes me wonder how many have experienced an untimely demise of their keezer? It would be interesting to know if life expectancy is only a few years after conversion.

When you hear shorten lifespan - can we be a little more specific? My grandmother has an upright freezer in her garage that has been running for at least 25 years. If conversion takes 10% off the life, I can certainly live with that.... Haven't seen any rash of posts describing dead keezers here either.

When you hear shorten lifespan - can we be a little more specific? My grandmother has an upright freezer in her garage that has been running for at least 25 years. If conversion takes 10% off the life, I can certainly live with that.... Haven't seen any rash of posts describing dead keezers here either.

A recent post on hbt from a member, who at least sounded like they were in the refrigeration field, indicated that freezers are not designed to efficiently run at refrigerator temperatures and can suffer premature failure. I'm only paraphrasing what I recall from the post. Something about refrigerant pressures/temperatures and compressor cooling not operating as designed.
Here is the post I was referring to by VladofTrub: Thread Title: question-about-possible-damage-freezers-using-temp-controllers

I know it's bad form but here is a quote of that post -
The temp controller won't do any damage. The damage occurs when a system designed to run at -10F to -20F is ran at 55F. A freezer compressor is designed for low temp applications. A compressor designed for medium-high temp application is designed differently. The higher the temperature of the space being cooled, the higher the temperature inside of the compressor. The compressor has to reject more heat. In refrigeration it's called Total Heat of Rejection. The THR includes the heat in the saturated vapor returning to the compressor, the heat coming off the motor and heat caused by friction. The higher the temperature of the saturated vapor the hotter the compressor motor runs. The higher the amp draw. A freezer is designed to pull the temp in the space from ambient to -10F at start up. After that, the few hundred pounds of meat pops tossed in the box displaces air and keeps the temp stable and low. Running it at 55F never allows the system to reach a certain equilibrium that it's designed to operate within. In a nutshell, the life of the unit is shortened. The worse case scenario is that the motor overload arcs closed. The motor windings begin to burn. The fusite blows out of the compressor catching the compressor oil on fire, burning down the house. Home owners insurance investigates and found that a freezer was altered and then cancels the insurance.
Sounds fairly convincing to me. Of course, he may have just slept at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.:D

To continue on the post above:

The insurance company cancels the policy causing the owner to be tossed out into the street.
His wife then leaves him and takes the kids too.
He falls into deep depression and soon turns to alcoholism to make the pain go away. However, there isn't any beer to consume since the keezer is gone and took out the house.
Finally, on a cold and lonely night he decides to end it all.
On the day of the funeral, his hearse skids on some ice and takes out a family in a minivan driving the opposite way.....oh fate! You have reared your ugly head. All because some bastard decided to keep a few more kegs cold.

On the lighter side, I have my FRIDGE kegerator in the garage. It is currently 30F in the garage. I just kegged a porter and brought it out there to chill it so I can dump some gelatin and start force carbing tomorrow. I realized that I needed to put it in the kegerator to keep it warm! If I left it sitting next to the fridge and not in it, it would be frozen solid in a day or two.

But then that's Maine for ya. Ayuh

Makes me wonder how many have experienced an untimely demise of their keezer? It would be interesting to know if life expectancy is only a few years after conversion.
I replaced my keezer after 11 years of service.
The problem was not a compressor failure, a leak inside one of the walls developed.
After a re-charge the keezer worked fine for close to a month.
My vertical aging freezer has been running since 1998 at 34°F without stopping.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I wouldn't be convinced that a few degrees in difference of the motor, were it the case, would be significant given that fridge was originally designed to cope with the cold of winter and the heat of summer.

What is probably much more significant is the reduction in duty cycle because a much lower temperature difference has to be maintained between the cold box and the outside and the pump will be running less often. I would put money on it lasting longer ...

If you look at new freezer vs new fridge there is no comparison. I like to buy new, because I know what I'm getting. I can get a new mid-sized freezer for ~150-~300 depending on the size I want. If I look around for scratch and dent models I can get it significantly cheaper. If that burns out in say 5 years, I think I've gotten my money out of it. A new fridge is significantly more $$.

My current setup is about 3-years old now. The freezer was a scratch and dent model I got for less than 100 new. I have more money in my taps and other equipment, which can be transferred to an new keezer very easily. The compressor cycles about once per hour and runs for about 3-5 minutes. I keep it at 39F.

The main downside to a keezer is schlepping kegs in and out of it. At this point I can still do it, and I have 2 boys who can help me if needed. When I get to the point where I can't load a keg into it I'll either get a fridge, or just give up homebrewing. :D

The something on my keezer just died (compressor probably?) and I do not plan on having it fixed. Between all the heavy lifting up and into the keezer and the constant moisture battle, I am going with a stand up fridge for sure.

That said, I have a sweet broken keezer for sale if anyone is interested :D I'm keeping my Perlicks though

Latest posts

Back