Kegerator, not scrap metal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neko

Reaction score
I'm doing a huge remodel on the house and for a few months the kegerator was in storage pods. A couple weeks ago we get the pods back, but the basement isn't quite ready so I tell the movers to just put the kegerator in the backyard so I can run an extension cord from the house. They put it down and everything is fine and kegs get cold and beer gets served over the next few days.

The problem here is that the fridge is in a direct line through the driveway and to the street.

7:30am BANG BANG BANG at the front door. WTF? SWMBO gets downstairs while the banging continues and some guy is asking if the fridge in the backyard is scrap metal. Uh, no it's not. Same thing happens this evening while my kid is trying to sleep. SWMBO says it's been happening every few days. Each time it's loud and annoying banging.

Why in the world do people bang on the door as loudly they can until someone answers the door? Then they ask for free stuff. I know times are tight and people have to collect metal to get by, but why make a ton of noise and ensure that the person answering the door is already pissed off before asking a favor?

That's the end of my rant. I can get some sleep now.

*yes I finally emptied the kegerator tonight, moved it ten feet so it's out of sight, and loaded it up again.

I'm doing a huge remodel on the house and for a few months the kegerator was in storage pods. A couple weeks ago we get the pods back, but the basement isn't quite ready so I tell the movers to just put the kegerator in the backyard so I can run an extension cord from the house. They put it down and everything is fine and kegs get cold and beer gets served over the next few days.

The problem here is that the fridge is in a direct line through the driveway and to the street.

7:30am BANG BANG BANG at the front door. WTF? SWMBO gets downstairs while the banging continues and some guy is asking if the fridge in the backyard is scrap metal. Uh, no it's not. Same thing happens this evening while my kid is trying to sleep. SWMBO says it's been happening every few days. Each time it's loud and annoying banging.

Why in the world do people bang on the door as loudly they can until someone answers the door? Then they ask for free stuff. I know times are tight and people have to collect metal to get by, but why make a ton of noise and ensure that the person answering the door is already pissed off before asking a favor?

That's the end of my rant. I can get some sleep now.

*yes I finally emptied the kegerator tonight, moved it ten feet so it's out of sight, and loaded it up again.

Just be glad that they banged on the door and asked first! Scrap metal usually gets picked up quickly and quietly in my neighborhood.

You should feel lucky it hasn't just disappeared. No joke, someone broke a lock on a power box outside my wife's company. They tried to steal wires from a live electrical distribution panel.

Lucky for the company and the thieves, they were smart enough to not do too much damage and nobody got killed. Nothing to do but put a bigger lock on it. They've had people stealing catalytic converters for the $$ right off cars in the parking lot at night.

I know I'm lucky. Losing my kegerator and a couple cornies and a co2 tank and a commercial keg would be a bigger PITA than some banging on the door.

I read about some guys in England stealing copper from a library roof and the rain got all over the books. That's lame.

Or the guys who dressed as road crews and stole the metal barriers on the side of the road.

But still, quit bangin' :)

Don't even get me started on those m-fers!!! They go down our alley constantly and dig through the trash leaving crap all over the place. My buddy had his AC unit stolen, it was only a year old. Then there's the guy in KY who died trying to steal copper from a live transformer and his family sued the power company for wrongful death and won??? WTF

Glad your kegerator didn't get ganked!!

At least they waited until 7:30 AM.

About a week ago I was awakened at 2:00 AM by a truck with no muffler parked across the street and two guys walking up and down the street loudly digging through garbage cans and yelling back and forth to each other about what they had found, and of course all the crap banging around as they threw it into the pickup bed.

Lucky for them they moved on when they did. Had my pants on and was zipping up when the truck pulled away.

Back