Kegerator/Keezer combo wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jco3rd

Reaction score
So I've been checking out the threads on these types of builds. The classic seminal posts seem to deal with fridge models that have two thermostats, one for the fridge, one for the freezer, and its kind of simple to just insert your digital thermostat of choice in the loop.

I have a model where there is only one thermostat. Furthermore, the thermostat does NOT control the freezer side. Instead it was hooked up to the fridge side thermostat. The freezer slider control in the original setup was hooked up to a baffle for a vent between the fridge and freezer. I've seen examples in these posts where it was the other way around, I'm not really sure what the hell is going on with that.

That being said, I assume my best option is to have the digital thermostat that I put in place of the analog one be the one to control the freezer side, and then have the second digital thermostat control a fan that draws cold air from the freezer side into the fridge for the fermentation chamber side.

Second question, this is my first foray into dealing with wiring diagrams, and I want to make sure I got it right. GE was super helpful and emailed me a wiring diagram for the unit within seconds of getting off the phone with them. I've attached it to the post.

Based on my understanding, the brown wire is the hot wire, and the orange one is the neutral. I'm a little confused as to what the gray wire is between the thermostat and the defrost controller is. I'm wondering if it would work to wire the thermostats in using the brown wire to the old thermostat, and the gray one to the defrost controller, or if I need to loop in a neutral from somewhere else. The idea in this case would be to loop in power to the two digital thermos in that loop.

Again apologies for my less than rudimentary knowledge of electrical wiring! Any help and feedback is much appreciated!

View attachment 31-51201.PDF

Back