Kegerator cupboard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneritz

Reaction score
Hey everyone I was just wondering if anyone has ever turned a cubists or cabinet into a kegerator? I don't have room for a kegerator in my kitchen but I have a cupboard not used for much that I was thinking about using. It is deep enough and wide enough for about 4 kegs and a co2 tank. I just wasn't sure if I could take fridge components and put them in the basement right underneath it, insulate it properly and leave a drain for moisture. Do you think it's possible? Has anyone done this? What do I need? Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You could just put a chest freezer in the basement, get a glycol unit, and run a few lines up to the kitchen. That's been done on here a few times. Or you can run it to any room in the house, really. Just need to cut a hole somewhere.

I thought about that but I wasn't sure the cost and how much of a pain glycol was. Is it a pain to start running lines for that?

no idea. You'd have to ask one of the guys that did that. Search craigslist and piece it together as you can, should be cheaper than buying it brand new.

Are you asking if the fridge or freezer can be in the floor below and the taps coming from a cabinet or are you asking if the fridge/freezer can be in a cabinet in the kitchen?

Maybe I do not quite follow but I am 33% sure that some people have built their keezer within a bar cabinet (like kitchen cabinets) and made a coffin for the taps.

Here's one example of what I thought you may be talking about:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/few-keezer-build-question-428149/

Some more possible ideas:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/anyone-build-bar-w-kegerator-taps-75942/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/whatsleftofyous-bar-build-264097/

Personally, a freezer in the cabinets is going to be way too big. You also want something that is front loading. I think a mini fridge is going to be your best bet. You will have to drill out for the taps though and depending upon your counter top, you may not want to do that. I'd do it all day long if I wanted taps on my counter but I value counter space quite a bit.

The other idea of course are the glycol lines and the freezer is in the basement. It is not super cheap but it can be done. For now I have a keezer with a collar. Within a year I figured I'd decide whether or not I really want to commit to having taps and I'll build my keezer into a built in shelving unit in my living room and run lines through the wall to a perfect sized wall in my kitchen. It is < 10' and it should be easy enough.

I just wasn't sure if I could take fridge components and put them in the basement right underneath it, insulate it properly and leave a drain for moisture. Do you think it's possible?

The condensation would destroy the cabinet in no time.

If I spray foamed the whole inside of the cabinet like a cooler and made some kind of insulated door I don think that condensation would affect it. The cupboard doors would almost be like dummy doors, I would just need to figure a way to open it from the front and have the door insulated properly. I talked to a local appliance part store and they said it would cost at $1000 to do that. Can't I just take the components from a fridge and hook them up and cool the area? I know that sounds easier said than done but it should be able to be done right? I would have a drain for moisture and a fan in there along with whatever else needs to be hooked up. Opinions? I just don't want to run to the basement everytime me or a buddy want a beer. Otherwise I would put a keezer don't there.

Back